1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com MoneyLeague

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Guy_Incognito, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Sherrill and Pettitte for Sabathia?

Valverde for Sabathia?

You both should be ashamed of yourselves. I don't care how poorly Sabathia has started.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Jose Valverde -- that's the guy with 47 saves and 78 whiffs in 65 innings a year ago, right?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If that's your metric: C.C. Sabathia, the guy who won the FUCKING CY YOUNG a year ago, right?

4. TheSportsPredictor

The Cleveland Rocks have closed to within two points of Sterling Silver heading into the final week. Sterling Silver has enjoyed a sizeable lead most of the season; 10 points as much as a week ago.

The Rocks are tied in wins with Yellow Ledbetter and WHIP with Yellow Ledbetter and LoganYoungsMoney. Should the Rocks pull ahead in both categories, they gain 1½ points. Where will the other half point come from??

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

As Jim J Bullock might say, this is getting a little too close for comfort. Please stop.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Y'all got rid of the playoffs?

I'm not sure which part of those last couple of posts throws me more -- the change in format to my former league or the fact that TSP is in contention after holding up the league the last two years.

Sounds like a heck of a finish. Sorry I had to miss it.

7. TheSportsPredictor

It's rotisserie style now instead of h2h. Just the way I like it.

8. outofplace

Did you load up on starting pitching early again? I'm curious to actually see if that draft strategy can actually work.

9. TheSportsPredictor

Only two SPs among my top 10 (Johan #10 overall, Lackey #64 overall -- he slipped due to missing the first few weeks). Use four pitching spots to rotate starters and keep closers in the other five spots, or four closers and a stud middle reliever. (Still not first in saves despite that!) Guess spending top dollar (or draft picks) on pitching isn't that wise, unless you're getting someone you are as certain as possible will be worth it. Like Johan.

Just good solid all-around play from guys who have been healthy most of the year.

10. outofplace

Ok, so a little more balanced approach than you used the last couple of seasons. Makes sense. It really is tough to win without a few stud hitters.

Lackey was a big part of a lot of winning teams this season because of that uncertainty on draft day.

11. TheSportsPredictor

Year 1 I was drunk and hanging out with friends and the draft was an afterthought. So I just picked whatever Cleveland Indian was available for the most part. Should have done that last year! Last year I wanted to win every pitching category, or almost all of them, every week, so I picked the dominant pitchers for my first several picks. Then I could squeeze a couple wins out of the hitting categories and make the playoffs. That Chris Carpenter was one of those dominant pitchers I chose didn't help.

I don't even remember if I was at the draft this time. Maybe that's the key!

12. outofplace

Could be. I had to autodraft in the SportsJournalists.com II or III football league and I will be 3-0 there unless Thomas Jones has Ronnie Brown-like performance. Perhaps that has been my problem all along in fantasy football. I was actually there for the drafts.

Draft saved Draft deleted