1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com, I need your advice on good wedding video music ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Aug 7, 2011.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Oh and Beef, those are some great suggestions. I'm going through them now but I'm probably going to use one or two of those. Thanks. :)

2. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Have you discussed with the happy couple what they might like, or did they give you full editorial control over it?

3. schiezainc

They gave me a couple ideas for the types of songs they like and I have a really close relationship with them (The bride is my sister-in-law) so I have a general idea of their musical tastes but, by and large, it's up to me.

I'm trying to find songs that really fit the moment and, normally, I would just draft off what the DJ was playing but they had a live band that played half what the couple requested/half what they felt like (and didn't have a list of which was which--I asked) so I can't just go based on that unfortunately.

They like a little bit of country music and softer rock in particular. Music like "Say what you need to say" by John Mayer, for instance. The groom is an 80's wildchild musically so I'll find some songs from that era that I think he likes too.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Definitely go with Ted Nugent. Probably can strike the Groban and Buble. :D

5. schiezainc

From the list Beef gave me alone I wrote down "Forever and Ever Amen", "All in" and "Making Memories of Us" as possibilities. I'm still going through the rest so keep 'em coming guys. I really appreciate the help. :)

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Did you pay for rights to use the songs?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He will want this song in a few years.

8. schiezainc

Nope but I wasn't paid to put the video together and am doing it for free for their private use so I don't think there's a problem. Of course, I could be completely wrong but, hey, if Richard Marx wants to sue me for using his song for a private wedding video for a private couple, he can have at it.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Elton John, The One
    Bonnie Raitt, You
    Harry Connick Jr., Learn to Love

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Rules are Rules!

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Our song was "At Last" by Ella Fitzgerald. I find its classy, cool and is not usually top-of-mind when people consider wedding songs.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Fuck You - Cee-Lo

Kidding...kidding.

Tom T. Hall - I Love

Draft saved Draft deleted