1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com cat people, I humbly ask for your advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Aug 31, 2008.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

What sc said. ... I let mine graze all day long because I'm too lazy cheap to buy an automatic feeder.

Cat brushes are as little as five bucks or so. Definitely worth it to help with the shedding.

Also, buy a lint roller for yourself.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

The toilet may not be a great suggestion, if you're using clumping litter. Supposed to be terrible on plumbing.

I highly recommend the catnip, tho. Get the little ankle-biter stoned, and you'll have a friend for life. Also, mine loves to chase the penlight beam in a darkened room. He just can't figure out how that damned spot ALWAYS gets away from him.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yea, clumping litter is not toilet safe.

In addition to cat nip, I'd suggest some of those little fur mice. Put them in the catnip for a day or two before giving them to the cat to play with. . . catly ecstasy will occur.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The kind of litter I use is called Feline Pine. My incredibly organic friend who gave me the cat bought it because it's environmentally safe or something like that. But it doesn't clump, it just breaks down.

I would watch your cat for a few days before just allowing it to graze. I can't put out a bunch of food for my cat because he would just go and scarf it all down and then want more.

5. my old roommate's cat would do the same -- binge eat (especially if he hadn't eaten enough that day) and then vomit.

so do be careful about that.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Shave it. Your sister will think it's a pretty good joke.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Don't know what to do with a pussy, eh?

9. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

allow me to second SC on the little fur mice. my cats prefer the ones that rattle, but those things are golden either way. no matter what other toys we have -- and the feather-tail-on-a-stick is a big hit, too -- those little mice are always the favorite.

other than that, everyone else has it pretty much covered. if they know where to eat and shit, you've basically got it covered. then it's just a matter of giving them some lovin.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That has to be priceless. A stoned cat ...

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

It's awesome. Next time I give my cat a bunch of catnip, maybe I'll video/youtube it and share it with everyone.

There's a lot of rubbing his face in the catnip, then running around the apartment and eating some food then, typically, just curling up where the catnip was and sleeping like a happy little stoner.

I'm almost surprised he doesn't bring me the pizza coupons some days.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Since you're new, all you have to do to let it know where the litter box is is pick the cat up, put it in the litter box. From there, it will remember.

Draft saved Draft deleted