1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ 2009-09 Coaching Carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by terrier, Mar 14, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Grant would have to do far more than just control Virginia. Hoops in Va. is good, but not that good.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

And, anybody decent in Virginia usually ends up wearing some shade of blue and white.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And the second-tier guys who might dominate in the CAA but are marginal ACC players end up at UVa [/calvinbaker&mikescott]

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Well if UVA could have kept Ed Davis in state, it would have been a start.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hate it for VCU. Guy's a hell of a coach.

6. My bad. When you said "ACC" I assumed you meant Atlantic Coast Conference, not three Mid-Atlantic states of your choosing.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Um, lemme see:

Al Skinner - Boston College
    Sidney Lowe - North Carolina State
    Oliver Purnell - Clemson
    Paul Hewitt - Georgia Tech
    Leonard Hamilton - Florida State
    Frank Haith - Miami

ONLY black coach in the ACC? Are you kidding? That's half the conference schools ... was more than half with Dave Leitao.

For someone so eager to argue, getting your basic facts straight would be an excellent start.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In his state and his two neighboring states, he does not have any competition. If NC State keeps Lowe, then that is his only competition.

If you are a top high school player in Richmond, Miami or Atlanta is a long way from home. Geographically, five of those coaches are very far away.

This was already stated on the second page of this thread.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The idea that black players will gravitate toward a black coach is largely a fallacy. Players of all colors are all looking for different things in a program. Some want to be nearby, some don't care. Some want prestige, some want to come build something. Some value early playing time, some don't care. Grant will be a good recruiter where ever he goes next because he is personable, hard-working, charismatic and has a track record of success, not because he is black.

I would gravitate toward UGA or Bama if I was an up-and-coming head coach. The SEC schools have athletic departments that are insanely endowed, so you can get resources, but bball is just a diversion until spring football. If you succeed at a school like that, the big boys will come calling. The right coach could turn UGA or Bama into a perennial favorite to win the conference. I don't think the same opportunity exists at UVA.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

A couple Bama papers are reporting the job is Grant's if he wants it. A decision could come very soon, maybe today or tomorrow.

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2009/03/vcus_anthony_grant_could_earn.html

11. High Point has made its decision, hiring Scott Cherry from South Carolina, so the dominoes can start falling.

In small school news, Kentucky is done playing in the NIT, so the axe should fall on Gillispie sometime today. Let the fun begin.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Scott Cherry, the former benchwarmer for UNC? Oh god.

Draft saved Draft deleted