1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Site to improve your Olympic Chinese knowledge

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by parmarossa, Jun 20, 2008.

1. parmarossa

parmarossa New Member

We recently created a fun flash site for people to learn Olympic-related Chinese before they go to Beijing. I thought it may be useful for sports journalists going to the Games this summer to allow them to get around and discuss specific sports in detail.

http://chinesepod.com/olympics

The features include the vocabulary (including audio) of all the sports terms, as well as short Mandarin lessons on the major themes and some cultural tips and suggestions. Also included is an interactive map of the event locations with translations and helpful information.

The audio lessons can be saved on an iPod and consumed at the time and place they are needed. The ChinesePod site itself has hundreds of simple lessons that are designed for the visitor to China and accommodates anyone from an absolute newbie to the language to the intermediate speaker.

I think it's, pretty unique. I hope it might be of some interest to journalists in this forum.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

OK, who wants to be the first to bite the bullet and see if this link will blow up your computer?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Does Cindy have anything to do with this site?

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I believe I had BYH in the Cindy pool. But I was off by a post.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't see anything for: Fuck me, this smog is fucking awful.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Does it have, "Hey, my wife wants me to get snipped, but I'm afraid. I'm a little baby."

Or

"Hey, my wife wants me to get snipped, but I'm afraid because of these people that I don't really know on this site I post on told me they use clamps and sometimes the pain medication doesn't work. Sweet Jesus, if I have to watch and I can feel it, I'm going on a three-state killing spree."

Does it have those on there?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's not a chinese version of SportsJournalists.com, Gola.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Does it have a listing of 3br apartments within walking distance?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

for the love of christ do i ever miss cindy.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just wanted chinese translations, dammit.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Harrison Ford?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Can it teach me how to ask "Why are you beating that monk"?

Draft saved Draft deleted