1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Site Producer, PGA Tour

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Company: PGA TOUR
    Position:
    Seeking Site Producer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    August 13, 2008
    Job ID: 948759

Description:
    POSITION OVERVIEW: Under the direction of the Managing Editor, PGATOUR.com Site Producers are responsible for the interactive production and operations of PGATOUR.com. The Site Producer works closely with internal staff, other PGA TOUR departments and PGATOUR.com production partner Turner Sports New Media to deliver an innovative and compelling interactive experience for PGA TOUR fans.

This Site Producer position will be particularly focused on production of site features during live events.

PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:

-Work on competition-day features including, but not limited to: -Live editorial packages during competition -End-of-round recaps and content integration -Coordinating content across the team to create unique packages as events develop and ensure that key storylines are thoroughly covered -Schedule for the week will be primarily Thursday through Sunday.

-Day-to-day management of PGATOUR.com, including: -Implementing daily content budgets -Writing headline, caption and tease copy -Choosing compelling photos

-Collaborate with editorial teams to create weekly and longer-term content plans

-Program editorial franchises

-Coordinate with onsite tournament multimedia and editorial resources to deliver outstanding content

-In concert with PGATOUR.com resources based at PGA TOUR Productions, mine the PGA TOUR video archive to maximize use of this valuable asset

-Develop relationships with key TOUR stakeholders—Competitions, Tournament Business Affairs, Broadcasting, players, agents, etc—to effectively report on stories and increase exposure for TOUR players and tournaments

-Coordinate with PGA.com site programmers to maintain a seamless cross-traffic experience for users

-Assist with the delivery of syndicated/partner content, when necessary

QUALIFICATIONS:

Education/Certification: Bachelor's Degree required. Communications/Journalism degree, business, MIS or visual arts degree preferred but not required.

Experience:

-BA/BS or equivalent required -Minimum three years Internet editing/production work -Strong journalism skills -Video production background or experience a plus -Sports background is a plus; golf interest required

Skill set requirements:

Requirement

-Strong knowledge of the Internet (including content, programming, editorial and the related tools and technologies) required -Strong knowledge of golf preferred -Creative vision to translate golf into a compelling interactive experience and media environment

Attributes

-Attention to detail -Strong organizational skills -Team player -Creative -Design/information architecture capabilities a plus

Apply online at PGATOUR.com.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I know you want job descriptions to be fairly inclusive to show what the position really entails, but this sounds like about 190 hours of work a week, hobnobbing with players, agents, Tim Finchem, etc. at the same time you are conducting an orchestra, being air traffic controller at O'Hare, writing a novel, directing Titanic, being the sparkplug-pissing general on War Games, and juggling plates on Ed Sullivan.

3. Oscar_Madisoy

Oscar_Madisoy Member

Well stated. Extremely well stated.

That said, it's still around 10 hours less per week than I'm used to working now -- and in a much better climate. Might be worth looking into.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Strong knowledge of the Internet.

I love that.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I know a guy who works there. He said you'd have a week, literally, to memorize the media guide. As in know off the top of your head how many tour victories Kenny Perry has. Etc.

Yowsa.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

7. imjustagirl

I fear you if that's right.

8. Moderator1

All I know is it was off the top of my head.
    I've been around a while. I know things.

9. imjustagirl

OK...what about Padraig Harrington?

10. Moderator1

Looked up Perry. I was off one, it was 12. I thought his most recent made it 13.
    Harrington has won three times here, not sure of his overall total.

11. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Why would you need to have things memorized like that? I mean, I could do a Google search and find that out in less than 10 seconds (I just timed myself. He has 21 total wins).

12. imjustagirl

I asked my friend, because I had the same argument. He said he rarely has time to look anything up. It's apparently a very very high-pressure, fast-paced gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted