1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sister Souljah > William Shakespeare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cjericho, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me of the debates I used to hear on the sports desk about how George Mikan would school Shaq.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Thus the whirligig of time brings in his revenges.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Fundamentals!

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, it really isn't. If she were a great author in her own era, that might apply, but she isn't. How many people even knew she had written six books before this article came out?

5. outofplace

Seriously, please tell me you are kidding. Please, while I have even a shred of respect for anything you post.

If not, please understand that she's attempting to play the race card to draw attention to herself and you are buying it.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did she say she's a better writer?

7. outofplace

She compared her novel that nobody has heard of to his work, then implied that the reason somebody would assume her work is inferior is a racial matter. Never mind that most people have never heard of the book she was comparing favorably to Romeo & Juliet.

Now if she started talking about the work of Langston Hughes, Maya Angelou, Toni Morrison, Zora Neale Hurston or W.E. B. Du Bois, to name a few, I might have taken her point seriously.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sister Souljah is a very important writer to young female minorities. Even more specific, she is a very important writer to imprisoned young female minorities. I have heard many a story about such women (girls) who have been turned on to reading by Sister Souljah's Midnight books. They open up and will discuss their lives because of these books.

It doesn't really matter who is better than who as a writer if people are able to find a writer who speaks to them.

Songbird likes this.
  9. outofplace

Again, I'm not saying her work is awful or that it lacks an audience. I'm saying she is putting herself on a level she hasn't earned and implying that the only reason people would question her is race. She is playing the race card inappropriately.

I'd make fun of a white writer with a resume like hers for comparing himself or herself favorably to Shakespeare, too. I'm not the one who brought up the comparison, TSP. She did.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  10. outofplace

Let them make her argument. I need the laugh.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

She hasn't earned?

Guess we have to wait for the black Hawke or DiCaprio to be cast in one of her plays.

12. outofplace

She argued that the reason she wouldn't be considered on a level with Shakespeare is racism.

Um. No.

If she argued that somebody like Toni Morrison or Maya Angelou should be considered on that level, I would have taken her point much more seriously.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted