1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's The Final Cut

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Derek_W, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Derek_W

Derek_W Guest

Has anyone seen the latest "Monday Morning QB" column on SI.com? It contains a first-hand account of what it's like to get cut, written by Washington OL Ross Tucker.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/09/02/tucker/index.html

What does everyone else think of it?

2. Faithless

Faithless Member

I thought it was outstanding. It gives life to a name sports fans read in the Sports Transactions and then quickly forget.

Tucker is wise enough to know it's over and is prepared to move on. He'll do well in his post-football life. For one Ross Tucker, there are dozens of cut players who don't have the college education or job skills to fall back on.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I chased a story similar to this but was knocked back by the local team's sports communications department. I think having the player write it himself is a great idea and I read the whole thing. Very good read.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I believe Rick Telander made his original splash in sports writing by writing a story (or series) very like this one for SI back in 1971/72, which eventually became the centerpiece of a book, "Football is Like a Rose."

Draft saved Draft deleted