1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's takedown of UCLA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

May already be on the college basketball thread. Don't much care. Worthy of its own.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/02/28/ucla/index.html?xid=siextra_022912

Very good stuff in there, I had a completely different picture of Howland for some reason.
    It also opens itself to further discussion of the anonymous source thing we've discussed often.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Grew up a Bruins fan. Still am. My dad adored John Wooden.

Haven't read it yet, but Dohrmann was on Dan Patrick's show this morning and gave some background on it.

Very sad to see.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Bill Walton would be shocked to hear that today's players are smoking pot.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The players were puzzled by some of their coach's idiosyncrasies. Howland seemed obsessed with the temperature in the film room. If it was not exactly 76º a student manager was certain to feel Howland's wrath. The water bottles handed to him had to be just cold enough and not too large.

I just honestly don't know how I could work in that environment and not tell the coach to fuck off. I'd last less than a day.

Sounds like another molder of men is getting what he deserves. Agents sound better than coaches these days.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know people like to emphasize that we need to pay attention to details, but berating a student manager over the temperature is ridiculous... Can't wait to read the article, even though I am definitely a UCLA fan.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

76 is the last temperature I'd want it at. Numerals equal 13. What a weirdo.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How much time did he spend showing players how to put on their shoes and socks?

8. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Is this a story if it isn't UCLA: The Home of John Wooden and the Pyramid of Success? There wasn't anything "shocking" about what I read - star players received special treatment from coaches? Head coaches can be jerks to assistants and support staff? College kids like to party? Reeves Nelson was a total jerk? Pretty much the types of stories you could find at almost any DI program.

As I USC fan, I'd like to point out that the coach across town/Figueroa got into a drunken hotel bar brawl during the conference tournament and has led his team to one PAC-12 win this season.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But it is at UCLA. Yes, that is the story. I would further add that if this were happening at Duke or Carolina, or at Indiana under Knight, it would be a big story then too.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's a story because Howland went to three Final Fours in a row and now can't sniff the tournament two out of three seasons in a weak-as Pac-12. It's a story in the same way that Coach K.'s health problems were a story when Duke fell off the map for a time.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Has anyone every written a profile about what Coach K is like behind the scenes? I've heard enough stories from beat writers about how he yells at players and curses more than just about any coach in history, but I don't know that I've ever read that in a story.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law doesn't follow sports very closely, but he was at my place last year when Duke was playing in a tournament game. Afterward, when Coach K. was talking, he started gushing about how classy and down-to-earth and humble he was.

"You worked in that business - is that how he is?"

I just said yes.

"I thought so. You can just tell!"

Draft saved Draft deleted