1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's Richard Deitsch interviews Poynter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Jun 19, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

My respect for Poynter continues to decrease and this Q and A didn't change that. A lot of hot air and tap dancing around the real issues. These 2 Poynter folks are at the forefront of effective journalism? We're more screwed than I thought. I think Poynter decided to do this 18-month omsbud gig simply because ESPN was the hot chick and Poynter wanted street cred by dating her.

One point: Deitsch asked about some of the reckless comments made by some on-air folks (the Cowherd comment about New Orleans being the country's most dangerous city). The answer was that Poynter can't chase after each reckless comment, basically saying that each comment is on its own and too trivial to devote time to addressing. Then why not take a number (10, 20) of those reckless comments and deal with that issue as a trend?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So, Poynter, is it OK for a newspaper to buy the naming rights of an arena where you regularly cover games?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I want Daulerio to take over as Ombudsman when Poynter's 18-month term ends.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Amazing number of evasive answers. The refusal to reveal the financial terms of the arrangement is mind-boggling.

Draft saved Draft deleted