1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's (new) 50 Greatest NBA Players list

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Mark Buehrle of basketball, one could reasonably argue.

amraeder likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You are relentless, man.

Hakeem was a special place in time for those who were following closely. He represented the NBA zeitgeist as a female writer from a large East Coast city might hypothetically represent the millennial zeitgeist.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This always pisses off the old fogies when I say it, but I think Oscar Robertson and Wilt Chamberlain get way overrated on these lists.

So much of their resume is based on those preposterous statistics they amassed during that preposterous early 60s era when the game was entirely different (indeed almost looked like a different sport) in ways immeasurably more conducive to amassing preposterous statistics. As far as I'm concerned nearly all of those statistical records from that era (especially the insanely wacky 1962 season) might as well come with an asterick next to them.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I always come back to this:

If they change the rules in an attempt to stop you, you are probably not overrated.

Thus, Wilt is not overrated. No other NBA player meets the standard listed above.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Iverson, who carried a team to an NBA finals, is 45, while Pippen, who couldn't carry the team's water jug, is 23. That makes sense.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The first #deviltake I thought it would have come much sooner.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Well, we saw during the 1995 season what Pippen is capable of when he was Batman. A seat on the bench.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He was terrible that year.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Bob Ryans of the world are going to lose their shit that Russell is behind Jabbar and Chamberlain.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Steph Curry is #31.

Where will he be on the 2026 list?

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

To turn the conversation to a player who is completely non-controversial, how do we feel about Kobe at 12?

Draft saved Draft deleted