1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's Lee Jenkins on Pablo Sandoval

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Aug 13, 2009.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I posted something a few weeks back on Lee Jenkins writing on Mark Buehrle's perfect game, and again felt the need to mention his work in last week's issue (the Jason Campbell cover) -- a three-pager on free-swinging Giants slugger Pablo Sandoval.

"Sandoval approaches every at bat as if he's afraid that he will get only one pitch before the other team takes the ball and goes home."

Got some great quotes, and really liked the way he introduced the pre-bat routine with the four of everything, then came back to it at the end of the story. The easy thing would have been to explain it in the lead. Just the right mix of off-field personality and on-field nuance for a profile like that. Here's a link ...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1158621/index.htm

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Thanks for checking in, Lee.

Well, someone had to do it.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I loved this line:

As Giants infield coach Shawon Dunston, a notorious free swinger in his playing days, puts it, "You want to see a walk? Then go watch the mailman."

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Man, he is so much better.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That is funny.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good story.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You don't walk off an island (or South America I guess).

Draft saved Draft deleted