1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sirius

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Crimson Tide, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Looking for some advice before trekking out to buy something I know nothing about.

After looking through the lineups, I'm going with Sirius. Mostly for Alabama football next fall, NFL and Howard Stern, but also, the radio selections here are shit.

But what exactly do I have to buy to listen to it? Obviously, the receiver, but is there a kind that will work in a vehicle kit and a home boom box? Any recommendations?

2. tommyp

tommyp Member

Most of the receivers made have the ability to connect from home and the car. I believe the Sportster works in a boombox; my unit (Visor) hooks to my stereo and I can take it with me to my car, where I have it hardwired to my car stereo.

3. donnie23

donnie23 Member

Not intended to be a threadjack, but I am getting XM as a delayed X-mas gift, mostly for baseball, etc. I need advice on which receiver to buy (SkyFi, etc.) I have an aux jack and plan to bypass the FM transmitter by using the line out. Anyway, thoughts from any XM folks?

4. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

The only thing I know about Sirius is the fact I'm glad I chose not to buy their stock in 2005. A merger with XM seems more possible every day.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I got the sportster and boombox for XMas.

I installed it in the car (antenna on the back roof of our SUV, stringing the wire to the front of the car.... whole nine yards) and have been very disappointed how often I "lose antenna" when driving around in open spaces, and the boom box is OK as long as you don't want to use it to listen to programming in the house.

Whatever my wife spent on this, plus the two-year plan they swindled from me..... has been close to an utter waste.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A lot of both XM and Sirius' signals are boosted by terrestrial towers. Which is why you may lose signal in the country. Which, since I mainly live in said country, is why I get my XM joy from DirecTV channels.

7. tommyp

tommyp Member

The only problm I've had with Sirius' reception is under trees that are fully in bloom. I've driven up and down the northeast--including in open country--and have had no problems with reception.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

donnie ... I got the Delphi Skyfi2 last year for Xmas to go with my XM subscription and also got the home kit. Skyfi works fine with the aux port (I have one on my new car stereo) and the home kit is real nice. You just switch the Skyfi back and forth between the home and car sets.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can get the receiver that will work in your car and take it out to play in the boombox. You will need the antenna for each.

You also could hook it up to the home stereo instead of the boom box.

10. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Get XM - Opie and Anthony plus Ron and Fez are worth the monthly subscription price alone. Howie has sent Sirius into the dumper and likely will merger with XM by 2008.

"I invented radio, Robin. Hoo. Hoo."

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They have sports and music on both, too. So I hear.

12. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

You're dead wrong about Stern hurting Sirius. Stern's $500 million deal has already paid for itself.

Draft saved Draft deleted