1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sirius/XM pricing plans announced (well, discovered)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Jul 27, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6519869225

This is what they plan to do...those of you who thought we could get a little bit of both services at the same price?

[​IMG]

NOT SO FAST, MY FRIEND!

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There was a thread about this some time ago, I believe. This is not a surprise. The information's been out there for a year; I just found it by looking up a US News & World Report blogger's report from last summer.

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/sirius-postmerg.html

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

To be able to get those new plans, you'll have to buy a new radio, which should be out in a few months.
    From the Wash. Post:

Q It costs $12.95 per month to subscribe to XM or Sirius. Will the price go up?

A The companies have said that they would freeze the $12.95-per-month rate for three years after the merger. In the letter to the FCC, XM and Sirius said they will create a number of programming options ranging from $6.99 to $16.99 per month.

· For $6.99 per month, subscribers can choose either 50 Sirius or 50 XM channels and add additional channels for 25 cents each per month.

· For $14.99 per month, subscribers get 100 channels: XM subscribers get mostly XM channels and can pick Sirius channels to round out to 100. A similar deal will be available for Sirius subscribers.
    ad_icon

· For $16.99 per month, XM subscribers get all of their current XM channels and can add an undetermined number of Sirius channels. Vice-versa for Sirius subscribers.

· For $9.99 per month, subscribers can get a "mostly music" or "mostly news, sports and talk" package of channels.

· For $11.95 per month, subscribers can get a "family-friendly" package of existing channels from either XM or Sirius, which would block out such programming as Howard Stern and rap and rock channels with profanity-laced songs. For $14.99 per month, subscribers can get a "family friendly" package of channels from both services.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

$16.99 for both is a bargain...

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Playing off the $6.99 plan, why don't cable TV companies offer this? (not for $7, obviously, but at a rate reduced off the full package.)

Just like I don't need or want all of the 175 channels on my cable TV system, I don't need that many choices on my satellite radio. Let me pick any 50 I want and I'll be happier than Roseanne Barr at a Vegas buffet.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

No, it's not, it's no longer 2 services, just 1.
    I am not paying a penny more.
    I am done with XM.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I sill can't figure out why anybody would pay for radio.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Commercials suck. And my musical tastes are more varied that land-based radio provides.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I was too young when cable TV became prevelant, but did people question about paying for TV then too? (serious question, not trying to be a dickhead)

10. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Two words: Clear Channel.

Four years and counting with Sirius. No chance in hell I'd ever go back to free radio.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Since I don't know how old you are, here's what television was like in the '60s. You put up an antenna on the roof and you got three stations, maybe four. I don't know how old I was before I saw television in color. There was no ESPN, CNN or channels devoted solely to the weather, cooking or shopping. AND . . . when you wanted to change the channel, you actually had to get up, walk over to the TV and do it . . . yeah, manually! I don't recall any threats of revolution because someone thought of CNBC, Discovery Channel, etc., and wanted to charge you 20 bucks a month to get 'em.

12. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Old enough to remember TV without cable, the trenches being dug around my condo complex to bury the wires & having to change the channels manually.

I just don't remember my parents or anyone else complaining about having to pay for it.

To me, the difference between commercial radio & satellite radio is just as dramatic as the ones you listed.

Draft saved Draft deleted