1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sirius/XM pricing plans announced (well, discovered)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Jul 27, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

This is what they plan to do...those of you who thought we could get a little bit of both services at the same price?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

There was a thread about this some time ago, I believe. This is not a surprise. The information's been out there for a year; I just found it by looking up a US News & World Report blogger's report from last summer.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

To be able to get those new plans, you'll have to buy a new radio, which should be out in a few months.
    From the Wash. Post:

Q It costs $12.95 per month to subscribe to XM or Sirius. Will the price go up?

A The companies have said that they would freeze the $12.95-per-month rate for three years after the merger. In the letter to the FCC, XM and Sirius said they will create a number of programming options ranging from $6.99 to $16.99 per month.

· For $6.99 per month, subscribers can choose either 50 Sirius or 50 XM channels and add additional channels for 25 cents each per month.

· For $14.99 per month, subscribers get 100 channels: XM subscribers get mostly XM channels and can pick Sirius channels to round out to 100. A similar deal will be available for Sirius subscribers.

· For $16.99 per month, XM subscribers get all of their current XM channels and can add an undetermined number of Sirius channels. Vice-versa for Sirius subscribers.

· For $9.99 per month, subscribers can get a "mostly music" or "mostly news, sports and talk" package of channels.

· For $11.95 per month, subscribers can get a "family-friendly" package of existing channels from either XM or Sirius, which would block out such programming as Howard Stern and rap and rock channels with profanity-laced songs. For $14.99 per month, subscribers can get a "family friendly" package of channels from both services.
  4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

$16.99 for both is a bargain...
  5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Playing off the $6.99 plan, why don't cable TV companies offer this? (not for $7, obviously, but at a rate reduced off the full package.)

Just like I don't need or want all of the 175 channels on my cable TV system, I don't need that many choices on my satellite radio. Let me pick any 50 I want and I'll be happier than Roseanne Barr at a Vegas buffet.
  6. markvid

markvid Guest

No, it's not, it's no longer 2 services, just 1.
    I am not paying a penny more.
    I am done with XM.
  7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I sill can't figure out why anybody would pay for radio.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Commercials suck. And my musical tastes are more varied that land-based radio provides.
  9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I was too young when cable TV became prevelant, but did people question about paying for TV then too? (serious question, not trying to be a dickhead)
  10. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Two words: Clear Channel.

Four years and counting with Sirius. No chance in hell I'd ever go back to free radio.
  11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Since I don't know how old you are, here's what television was like in the '60s. You put up an antenna on the roof and you got three stations, maybe four. I don't know how old I was before I saw television in color. There was no ESPN, CNN or channels devoted solely to the weather, cooking or shopping. AND . . . when you wanted to change the channel, you actually had to get up, walk over to the TV and do it . . . yeah, manually! I don't recall any threats of revolution because someone thought of CNBC, Discovery Channel, etc., and wanted to charge you 20 bucks a month to get 'em.
  12. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Old enough to remember TV without cable, the trenches being dug around my condo complex to bury the wires & having to change the channels manually.

I just don't remember my parents or anyone else complaining about having to pay for it.

To me, the difference between commercial radio & satellite radio is just as dramatic as the ones you listed.
Draft saved Draft deleted