1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sioux Falls advice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bumpy mcgee, Mar 2, 2013.

1. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Will be in Sioux Falls March 8-13 for work. Is there anything that must be done or seen during my trip? The wife will probably come along, so is there anything that can occupy her time other than red-hot Summit League basketball action?
    She's looking for shopping and at least one nice night out with me.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Don't go.

3. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I have no use for Sioux Falls, but they have the Summit Tourney there for a reason. If he's going to cover the Summit Tourney there, it means he's coming from a shittier city.

4. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Bump --

For eating out, if you like Mexican food at all, go to Mama's Ladas. I think it's on 11th. Be warned, though, it's a small place and will likely be packed that weekend. EDIT: Also for Mexican, Casa Del Rey by the airport is damn good.

For sitdown, night-out American cuisine, Miverva's. Same folks who own that run Spezia, which is Italian, and also good.

There is (or used to be, my sources back there differ) a really good sushi place downtown, Sushi-Masa.

For straight ahead pub fare there's a Granite City on Louise that does the job.

All this is dated, as I haven't been there in a few years. I am sure you can find some newer places on Yelp or the like.

As far as shopping, the mall is on 41st and I-29. Can't miss it.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Sioux Falls isn't that bad as long as you don't expect L.A. or something like that.

The actual Sioux Falls itself has a nice park, overlook, etc., though I've only been there in warm months.

There's some nice breakfasty places downtown and a decent bar district. I spent two days there two years ago and didn't want to kill myself. There's worse places.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

BTW, "Playing Your Conference Tournament In Sioux Falls" is No. 1 on the "Signs You're A One-Bid League" List.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Inarguable.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Stay home and let your parents worry about it.

9. daman

daman New Member

I should apparently kill myself for living here.

Some redeemable (and current) eating options.

- JL Beers. Local chain with fantastic burger and beer options. Also small and popular, so expect to wait a little depending on the time of day.
    - Luciano's. Probably the best italian option and in the downtown area. Other good italian: Spezia
    - PepperJack Gril. Philly cheesesteaks. See also: Firehouse Subs. To get away from the chain sub sandwich fare.
    - Bros Brasserie Americano. Had a pork belly thing that I still think about. Also duck tacos. Note: $
    - Carnaval. Brazilian grill where they bring the cuts of meat for you to choose (eat ravenously). Note: $
    - Phillips Avenue Diner. A couple signatures options, most namely Chicken & Waffles.
    - Nick's Gyros. Been around forever for a reason. Best greek food.
    - Acoustic. Unbelievable calzones and stuff and in a very neat building in downtown.
    - Starz. The only choice to consider for a sports bar.
    - Monk's. This is if you're looking for a bar to get a couple beers. Unique with endless beer choices.
    - Queen City Bakery. Make something fresh every morning with fantastic coffee, plus cool atmosphere.

I would say the shopping options are not much different than anywhere else. There's a retail district with a mall and some shops downtown.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Second the recommendation for JL Beers. Wasn't that impressed with Queen City Bakery, though I'm sure it's nice for SF (no offense.)

Want a great burger and milkshake? Hit up the retro-looking B&G Milkyway on Sycamore. Cool little place.

Falls Park is distinctive (reminded me a little of what they've done in Greenville with the waterfalls there.) I also enjoyed strolling up and down Phillips Avenue to see the SculptureWalk; some of the artwork is pretty funky.

Catch a show at the State Theatre, if it's open. Looks like you're a week late to see roller derby at the Coliseum, an awesome venue built in 1917. And a month early to catch the Pheasants.

If you want to know where Babe Ruth hit a 500-foot home run in an exhibition game there, I can show you. 8)

11. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Is Sushi Masa still open? That place was great.

12. daman

daman New Member

It is, yes. Never been.

Draft saved Draft deleted