1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Singleton strikes again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by buckweaver, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

(Never mind the PM, MileHIgh)

http://reporter-g.blogspot.com/

http://www.oberjuerge.com/?p=601

Steve Dilbeck is gone.

I feared a couple of other good names, longtime baseball scribes like Padilla. Never even considered they would get rid of Dilbeck.

At the same time, there were certain clues, including one at this site that flashed like huge neon lights. I dismissed the significance of that particular one, thinking they have to keep Dilbeck.

As Oberjuerge notes, only two columnists remain, both at Long Beach (and one, in case you were wondering, has a no-edit clause which leads to a lot of unintentional comedy getting into the newspaper. The other is a pro and a really good guy, even if he hates soccer).

And here I was wondering how much worse it would get when two years ago, LANG had lost all four of the people who once did MLS for them.

Never ever thought the group would so quickly collapse in the manner it has. Outsourcing sports beats to the OC register, eliminating much of its pro coverage, and gutting the columnist roster.

Heartbreaking.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There is no rhyme or reason to dump Dilbeck. So now ... no sports columnists in LANG? Mind-boggling.

Dilbeck, another former co-worker of mine, is great. I hope he lands on his feet. (I'm tired of making that comment.)

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF?

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

You're being too kind, Buck.

Like PaulO's dismissal, there aren't words strong enough to describe the mindlessness of this "decision."

I'm frankly wondering why the DN just doesn't pack it in. I've got friends there, but this, Modesti to news, getting rid of Gittleson on preps, etc, etc. is mind-boggling.

Karma's behind in this race. And she needs to catch up.

And Mile, I forgot about that OCR/DN unholy alliance that somehow made Doug P "superfluous" in some bean-counter's eye. That's another abomination.

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I hear it's not the end. I hear there are at least a dozen more apparently on the chopping block at the DN alone coming next month. I can't see how they can cut any more, but nothing really surprises me anymore.

6. MileHigh

This whole thing has made me sick the past 24 hours. Just sick. But, yes, IT GETS WORSE.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2009/01/daily_news_layoffs_oconno.php

Assistant city editor Aron Miller offered to take a buyout from LADN. But L.A. Observed reported he had a job lined up with Rep. Fran Pavley.

So ...... wait for it ......

Yes, Miller gets ZERO severance.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Two of the best sports columnists in the group are gone, modesti to news, dilbeck to the streets. Yet the clown in Long Beach is still drawing a Singleton paycheck to write about his deadbeat friends and busty waitresses in Belmont Shore.

8. MileHigh

It will never end. Guessing MediaNews is trying to save a bunch of money where it can so it can make any bid to buy the Rocky Mountain News (MediaNews just got a new banker, probably just for that) and control the Denver market by itself.

9. MileHigh

Yup, exactly. None of this makes any sense. Of course, it long ago stopped making sense.

Paulo, from Hong Kong, writes about his friend/colleague Steve Dilbeck.

http://www.oberjuerge.com/?p=601

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

There are days when I have little anger left for these scum, my friend. It makes me numb sometimes.

I have no idea what the point of this exercise is anymore, except to fuck with people's lives and for Lean Dean just to twist the knife again and again and again.

There seems to be no other reason. It's inhumane, is what it is.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And see, now ... my anger returns. Go figure.

Fucking Singleton, man. Fuck.

Godspeed to those of y'all still on the sinking ship. Get out.

12. MileHigh

I can't stop being angry. These are colleagues. Friends. People I worked with for years, still have ties with, still hold in high regard. Shared many a drink with, shared stories. And they're being taken to a freakin' firing squad for no good reason. It's sick.

Draft saved Draft deleted