1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Singleton strikes again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by buckweaver, Jan 2, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

At least when the Assfuck shuttered the paper I worked at 15 years ago, the WARN act made the cheap fuck pay us for three months,

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As evidenced by a former boss of mine getting totally hosed last year. There is no conscience when it comes to this stuff.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

I thought these properties had challenging work environments in my stone-age era ... West Covina? A crowded sea of '60s strip malls and the one subset of the LANG group with the least amount of news.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

News gets worse. More layoffs today in LANG.

Details TK ...

I'm hoping one of these stories isn't true. If so, it's one of the worst I've heard.

5. MileHigh

Really, how much worse can it get? Oh ... wait ...

6. MileHigh

Reporter-G on it.

http://reporter-g.blogspot.com/2009/01/layoffs-in-works.html

I'm told two photographers, Eric Reed and Jeff Malet, were laid off at the San Bernardino Sun/Inland Valley Daily Bulletin... Update: Word is that the Daily Bulletin's office receptionist lost her job as well.

Damn. I worked with Reed and Malet.
    It will never end.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn. Gary Scott is quick.

http://reporter-g.blogspot.com/2009/01/layoffs-in-works.html

Two photogs in San Berdoo, Jeff Malet and Eric Reed, were canned. Eric's name was mistakenly read to the entire newsroom when the list of the deceased was announced by the editor during the major layoffs there last spring.

I'm hearing they're not done cutting in SB yet ...

Gary Scott also reports 4 (or 5) layoffs in classified at San Gabriel and a receptionist lost her job at Ontario. (Now he's hearing she did not.)

EDIT: Just heard of one casualty in sports, a respected baseball writer from San Gabe. Fuck.

8. MileHigh

Gary Scott now reporting Doug Padilla, former Angels beat writer and the White Sox beat reporter at the Sun Times when the Sox won the World Series, got laid off.

I've known Doug for 15-odd years. Have had lots of beers and laughs with him. I'm seriously bummed out by this -- and pissed.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep, Padilla's the one. They were phasing him out a year ago, with that deal to trade Angels/Dodgers copy with the OC Register. IIRC, he took a desk/preps assignment to keep his job then.

Really shitty move on San Gabe's part. Doug's a helluva guy.

10. MileHigh

Yeah he is. So in the past nine months, they shitcan him and PaulO, but leave certain freaks in charge who should have been put out to pasture decades ago.
    Like I said ... I'm pissed.

11. MileHigh

And more tomorrow.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2009/01/newsroom_cuts_tomorrow_at.php

At the (L.A.) Daily News a total of seven positions will be cut, five from the bargaining unit and two managers. At the (Long Beach) Press Telegram three positions will be eliminated, all from the bargaining unit.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Does the WARN act cover piecemeal layoffs like this? Obviously, they are spreading it out to avoid the magic number of 50; but if there's an obvious effort to sidestep this, can anything be done?

Draft saved Draft deleted