1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Singleton: copy editors may be cheaper in India

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Billy Monday, Oct 21, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The funny thing about the web feed is that the best stories always come out of the closed sessions to discuss personnel issues. Don't know what the public meetings laws are elsewhere but reporters can sit in on closed sessions but can't report on it. They can take the information and try and reverse engineer a story by finding someone who isn't as up on the public meeting and public record laws though. I don't think you can do that from India.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You can, but it always ends up the cow's fault...

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Never mind that Dean's ridiculous salary comes from the sweat of the dwindling workforce which publishes his newspapers.

I worked with a founder/publisher that hired consultants who had never worked in a newsroom in their lives. Lumping them in with Dean sounds about right.

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

While we're at it, why don't we just pick up and move the whole United States to India and then we can operate our whole country on a nickel and publish some great newspapers.

I claim first dibs on a consultant's job, teaching English to India's copyeditors.

5. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Oh, snap, son!

6. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

Not sure I'd count on that consultant's job:

Wikipedia: "English is the co-official language of India, with about 90 million speakers, but with fewer than quarter of a million calling it a first language."

Nevertheless, this part of the Wikipedia entry has amusement potential: "the grammar of higher British English is considered the only correct one."

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

and true.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fuck you, Lean Dean.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yup. what he said.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Dear Dean Singleton,

Please eat poison.

Signed,

People who care about journalism

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shit. i just agreed with bubs. how can i ...

Draft saved Draft deleted