1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Singer Frankie Laine dead at 93

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ellis Redding, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Singer Frankie Laine dies in California at age 93; had string of hits in the 1950s

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Frankie Laine, the big-voiced singer whose string of hits made him one of the most popular entertainers in the 1950s, died Tuesday. He was 93.

Laine died of heart failure at Mercy Hospital in San Diego, Jimmy Marino, Laine’s producer of more than a dozen years, told The Associated Press.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

A terrific singer. There's a great story about how he came to record the theme from "Blazing Saddles."

RIP.

3. I was really hoping spnited would have the first comment on this thread.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And it would be?

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

spnited is helping his grandkids deal with their pain. They grew up with Frankie Laine's music, you know. :D

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Mel Brooks placed an ad looking for "a Frankie Laine-type singer" to do the job. He was shocked to shit when, the very next day after the ad appeared, Frankie Laine himself showed up at his office and announced that he was ready to go. So they recorded it, but Laine apparently didn't know the movie was to be a satire/parody, and he treated it like any other song and put everything into it. Brooks quickly realized the problem but didn't have the heart to tell Laine the truth. He used the song as Laine recorded it and it wound up being nominated for an Oscar. I don't know what Laine's reaction was upon finally learning the truth about the film.

7. doctor x

doctor x Member

I believe his song was the only Oscar nomination Blazing Saddles received. I know he sang it on the Oscars the year it was up for the award.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He had a great career of doing TV and movie themes. He did the theme from Rawhide and High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darling).

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Madeline Kahn got a nod for best supporting actress (she lost to Ingrid Bergman for "Murder on the Orient Express").

Harvey Korman, despite his hilarious on-screen plea for recognition by the Academy, was ignored in the best supporting actor category, where Robert DeNiro took it for "The Godfather Part II).

And the "Blazing Saddles" song lost to "We May Never Love Like This Again" from "The Towering Inferno."

You know, I always liked Tex Ritter's version of "High Noon" better.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Korman's line in the movie was something about his actions costing him a sure Academy Award nomination. I guess they did. LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted