1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sing it again: Songs you love, original and redone versions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by murphyc, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

'Wild Thing" by Troggs/X and "Proud Mary" by CCR/Ike and Tina are the gold standards in this category.

A few others:

"Time Has Come Today" - Chambers Brothers/Ramones
    "Summertime Blues" - Eddie Cochran/The Who
    "Christine Sixteen" - KISS/Gin Blossoms

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

In the early 90s, Everything But the Girl released an album called "Acoustic."

It had a few songs from their UK album called "Covers," on which they did, well, as the title suggests, covers. Had four or five really good ones -- Alison, by Elvis Costello; Downtown Train, by Tom Waits; Time after Time, by Cyndi Lauper; Tougher Than the Rest, by Bruce Springsteen.

I love the originals, but I think I like the covers even better.

I also own a few discs that were tributes to the original with songs by other artists. Most notable were "Deadicated," which was a tribute to the Grateful Dead with about 14 songs or so (my faves were Uncle John's Band done by Indigo Girls and Bertha done by Los Lobos), and the Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John and Bernie Taupin (Border Song by Eric Clapton; Come Down in Time by Sting; Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word by Joe Cocker were all great).

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

One of my very favorite albums.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"Please Come Home For Christmas" by Charles Brown and The Eagles

5. old_tony

I heard it in a record store as I was buying other CDs and after three songs had to find it and buy it. One of my greatest CD purchases.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's a pretty old album. Has to be about 20 years old. I first heard it when an ex-girlfriend played it for me.

I can listen to that whole CD from start to finish and not need to skip one song..

I lost or broke it once -- I forget which -- and bought it again.

The version of Alison is one of my favorite songs.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, no.

Anyhoo...
    --I've Got You by Split Enz, then Pearl Jam
    --I Need a Lover, John Cougar, then Pat Benatar
    --No You Don't, Sweet, then Pat Benatar

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I adore the unplugged version of Hotel California.

And didn't Heard It Through the Grapevine hit the charts from three artists? Maybe four?

I know Gladys Knight and the Pips, Marvin Gaye and CCR recorded it but I want to say there was another hit version, too.

9. old_tony

I think it came out in 1992. During dinner break from work I'd walk over to the near-by downtown mall and get a sandwich from the sub shop and kill time in the record store. After I bought that disc I think i didn't listen to another disc for about two weeks.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember that, but I meant by an actual living artist.

However, I do have all of the original four Burger King giveaway raisin guys in a box somewhere in my house.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

My Way by Sinatra/Elvis

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Anthem by Rush/Anthrax

Turn the Page by Bob Seger/Metallica

Draft saved Draft deleted