1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Since We Like To Generalize About The Business On This Board...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, May 23, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'd just like to reiterate that PR flacks suck. Don't put out a press release trying to get hype for your little rebel project, and then the next day go on vacation for a week and not return calls. Fucking Einsteins.

Other PR flacks have pissed me off today too, acting about as useless as ever. Fuck your statement if you aren't going to return calls about them.

Suck it, PR hacks.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What about the college SID who has three guys scheduled to play in the NCAA tennis tourney, including one who's twice been an All-American, and can't be bothered to 1) send a release or 2) answer his phone or return calls about said tennis players?

Not that I'm hostile or anything.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

hey sportschick,

how's the snow?

4. sportschick

Which kind? The cold, wet stuff or the coke? :D

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think I can generally speak for preps writers everywhere when I say y'all are spoiled to have SIDs and PR people to rely on for info in the first place. And if they don't come through, there are always website, media guides, etc. Generally.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

the cold wet stuff. I thought it was snowing in your neck of the woods

7. sportschick

Nothing but a standard May snowstorm. It happens. It's the ones in July that are scary.

The coke storms are scarier. Ask Steve Howe's ghost :D

8. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Yeah I agree man you can't complain. I do preps 90% of the time and now that its summer time I get to cover a minor league baseball team with stats and info galore. I feel like I'm doing nothing since I don't have to keep stats, etc.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Anyone who is working with SIDs and PR people now likely had to do the preps thing before, so they can feel your pain. But trust me, every step you take up the ladder, there is a different flavor of bullshit to chew on.

Plus, some people just like to complain.

10. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

Ha ha.

I must incorporate this into my lexicon.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Good to see you too, FH. :D

Yes, bad PR people suck. Farm animals. Hard and fast. They also swallow.

Just remember the good ones who bail you out by getting you that interview you need or that information you have to have at the last minute. They put the farm animal fellators in their proper place in PR hell.

Passing on the cock-high fastball sitting there of making rash generalization about lazy, high-maintenance reporters from tiny papers who are more trouble than they're worth...

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bird, I just got grouchy last night. Add a couple of bad instances on a couple of different stories I was working on and I had to let it out somewhere. I tried to delete it but we don't have that option here anymore. Oh well. I know not all PR guys are worthless.

(btw, I'm neither high maintenance nor from a tiny paper, I promise!)

Draft saved Draft deleted