1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Since there isn't an all-purpose women's golf thread ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 2, 2006.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Michelle Wie is tied for the lead on the back nine of the U.S. Women's Open.

If she wins, will it then be considered more acceptable for her to attempt to qualify for the open (read: men's) events?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

What does Ben Wright think of her rack?

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I guess my question would be: Why is the default expectation for her to find some success in the women's ranks before attempting the PGA et al? If she were a man struggling to make the cut on the PGA or a 16-year-old boy getting sponsors' exemptions because of the media hype, would people be as critical of her?

4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Doesn't get in the way yet.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I will try to reinterpret your comment about her participation in men's tournaments as "a complete waste of time."

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Why should she have to prove herself in women's tournaments first?

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Never mind, Junkie. He's just convinced that women should never compete with men in any way, in a golf tournament, for a job, etc. He has his jackass hat on this week.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

If she aspires to be the best, then I think the question would be: Why wouldn't she want to play against people who hit the ball 100 yards farther and who play on courses with nearly 1,000 extra yards that her female competition? There are plenty of men who have and will toil in obscurity trying to make it on tour. I don't see you putting them down for trying.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good luck folks. The hat fits quite snugly on his head.

Why, he doesn't even think closers are real pitchers!  :D  ;D  ;D  :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Which I don't think you'll be getting anytime soon.

11. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

I agree that Wie should not be playing men's events, not becuase she is a woman or isn't good enough, but because she is being invited simply to put money in the pockets of sponsors and the PGA. But in all reality she isn't good enough to play agaisnt the men, few women are. Men are better at sports. To their credit, women are better at most everything else. I hope that is taken as a compliment by female board members.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why, are you receiving while posting?

Draft saved Draft deleted