1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simpson's writer sticks it to uppity Pynchon scholar....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Sep 14, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Pure gold, this one.

The guy absolutely nails the "I don't watch TV...." Pynchon academic.

http://nerdworld.blogs.time.com/2009/09/08/true-tales-of-conversational-vengeance/

Okay, look, I'm fine with people never watching TV. They're lying, but I understand. I don't watch that much TV myself. But why do people at parties feel such smug delight at telling you (okay, me), without hesitation, that they don't watch TV? If you met a dentist at a party, would you announce that you don't brush your teeth? Would you tell a structural engineer that you don't ride in elevators?

This just made my day.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Newspaper employees can certainly relate.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Certainly a total fabrication, but cute nonetheless.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

As a Jewish Pynchonophile, I now can't wait for Chanukah this year. Extra latkes for everyone, just so I can use that line.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was pretty funny.

"Gravity Rainbow's" opening sentence "A screaming comes across the sky" is one of my all time favourites.

GR is also one of the great unread books of the last fifty years, possibly only surpassed by "Godel Escher & Bach" "

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

VINCENT: What's a pilot?

JULES: Well, you know the shows on TV?

VINCENT: I don't watch TV.

JULES: Yes, but you are aware that there's an invention called television, and on that invention they show shows?

VINCENT: Yeah.

JULES: Well, the way they pick the shows on TV is they make one show, and that show's called a pilot. And they show
    that one show to the people who pick the shows, and on the strength of that one show, they decide if they want to make more shows. Some get accepted and become TV programs, and some don't, and become nothing.

She starred in one of the ones that became nothing.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

This is the real-life equivalent of Matt Damon showing up the snobby American History major in the bar in Good Will Hunting.

Draft saved Draft deleted