1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simple Pleasures

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

--My lab following me over to the computer and lying down on my feet.
    --Hearing Mrs. Editude laugh.
    --Reaching the top of the hill on one of my marathon bike rides.
    --Hearing "Hi Dad" on the phone from college.
    --The intro music to lineups being announced at the stadium.
    --A big batch of fries at Islands.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Oh sweet mother of God .... that's an imagine I could've lived without.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

-- Going out for a bite to eat, and bringing only a paper along to read while you wait for your food.
    -- Sitting on the beach well after the sun has set, and watching the stars, and occassional shooting star.
    -- Wearing a ball glove onto a field, and having a ball to throw around with someone.
    -- The first slice of pizza.
    -- Fruit punch spiked with rum, somewhere outside. Cigar is optional, though encouraged.
    -- Day baseball.
    -- The afterglow of a good workout.
    -- Being smitten.
    -- Baseball on the radio, doubly so if you're driving late at night and catch a signal from hundreds of miles away.

4. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

**The feeling of euphoria you get as you walk out of the gym after a kick-ass workout.
    **Getting a phone call from that special person, or a text message. Even better? When it's unexpected.
    **Playing hoops and hearing that sweet swishing sound when you get nothing but net. Also, the sound of sneakers on a wood floor.
    **The smell of freshly cut grass. Also, fresh-baked cookies!
    **I don't get this much any more at the college level, but I'll agree with a couple of other posts: Getting a thank-you letter from someone you did a story on. Even better: Getting an e-mail from a reader who liked a story.
    **The joy I'm going to know when I finally sell my damn house!!!
    **Sitting by the lake/ocean/river/creek (doesn't matter) and watching the water move by and the sun and a breeze on your face.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

It doesn't matter where you've been
    Or where you're gonna go
    It only matters where you're at
    And at the time you know

Life is full of simple pleasures
    Meaningful by any measure
    Take the time for simple leisure
    The time you take is time you'll treasure

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

What is that from?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Amen.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

That's from me.

9. Dumbass that I am, I forgot the British pronounciation of "leisure" as "Lesszure."

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

-- Pulling up from way beyond the arc and knocking one down, and all the guy can say is "Damn, nice shot."
    -- A give and go.
    -- Reading your story the next day in the paper and not finding any errors and being satisfied with the way it turned out... even more so if it's a feature or long piece.
    -- Being in love enough that you never even have to get out bed all day and it's still a great day.
    -- Waking up and thinking it's time to get up and realizing you have two more hours to sleep.

11. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

* The future Mrs. Wills meeting me at the door when I get home at 12:15 a.m.
    * An hour or so later, falling asleep together as I hold her in the double-arm wrap.
    * A road trip on a clear day, with my girl and CDs picked out especially for the journey.
    * The mid-workout second wind.
    * Disappearing into a movie at the theater (and a rare pleasure this is, given the general state of decorum in cinemas today).
    * A new album from a favorite band.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

-- Sitting in the recliner and having the kids in my wife's daycare climb up there with me. Watching them try to make it is half the fun.

-- Movies. When I have time, I loooove popping in a DVD or tape.

-- Beverly Hills 90210 ;)

-- Cookies and milk.

-- The smell a fresh pepperoni pizza has

-- My music collection

-- Talking to my dad on the phone

-- Reading my sports almanac

-- Watching my 9-month-old son try new tricks every day

-- Listening to my 4-year-old daughter stumble over big words (ie, hossible instead of hospital)

-- Having my 8-year-old daugher climb on my back and shoulders

-- Playing with the pooch

-- My wife's cooking

Draft saved Draft deleted