1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons suspended

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I listen to Carolla's podcast every day, and he's always talking about how much he hates it and only does it to maintain his wife and kids' lifestyle.

He's even got a movie coming out called "Road Hard," which is about a formerly famous comedian who has to go back onto the club circuit to pay the bills after his TV show and other high-paying gigs went away.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Carolla's net worth is estimated at $15 million. For someone who never had a syndicated network show that's pretty damn good.

Carolla jokes on his show that he "has to" do stand up and his upcoming film is about just that, but I don't think it's a question of "If I don't go on the road, we'll starve. I think it's a case of the podcast makes it easier for him to draw on the road and he's taking advantage of that.

I saw him a couple years ago and he did two shows in a theater that seats about 1,500. Both shows were sold out. The list of comedians who consistently sell out across the country is a short one (probably 20-25) and a majority of those guys are either movie stars or have their own TV shows. For a guy who has done primarily radio over the years, Carolla is doing pretty well for himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted