1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons podcast with President Obama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd probably lose it when Maron would try to give Obama free coffee.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Pretty good...

http://deadspin.com/5889588/13-right+wing-talking-points-for-the-simmons+obama-podcast

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Call me a dick, but I don't care what the president thinks about Jeremy Lin, the Chicago Bulls, or anything sports-related, really.

I like Simmons and of course understand why he would do this (I mean, it's the fucking president, who wouldn't want to interview him?), but listening to one second of this would be a waste of my time.

We get it: Obama likes basketball. He still likes to play if he can. He once played a lot and may have even been pretty good. I understand. And it wouldn't change what I thought of him if he didn't ever watch a basketball game in his life, either. It's a human interest story, nothing more, but given the timing of this, it will obviously turn into a debate about which voters he may have swayed. Bulls fans? Already had 'em. Knicks fans? Check.

I know from Simmons' perspective that the podcast isn't designed to sway votes, of course, but Obama's a politician and knows what he's doing. He knows damn well that some stupid people will care a lot more that he thinks the Bulls have a shot to win a title than what he thinks about economic recovery.

This is why sometimes I don't even feel like voting. Since most people don't care about the real issues because most media outlets won't report politics in an enlightening manor (because everyone in media knows you don't get attention for your publication/show if you're not either dumbing the issues down to ludicrously simple levels that totally distort what the issues are even about, or if you don't have 2-5 people yelling at each other, nobody will read/listen) what's the fucking point?

Rant over.

Good for Simmons and ESPN. But I don't care.

5. Mizzougrad96

It's a smart move by both parties. This will get Simmons/Grantland/ESPN a ton of attention...

The President is a clear sports fan, who based on everything I've seen, can talk sports pretty well. He comes across as relatable to the every man, while four guys who almost no one can relate to try to battle it out to run against him.

From Obama's standpoint, talking with Simmons has to be a relief after dealing with the White House Press contingent on a regular basis.

I like Simmons, so I'm happy for him.

6. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

So you can't be bothered to waste time listening to it, but you can be bothered to write up a long post about why you can't be bothered to take the time to listen to it?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Something like this shows (EDIT - and all the other situations we have seen him in over the past four years, not just this one podcast) that the Leader of the Free World is not a complete blubbering fool in an everyday setting. It is very important to me.

It gives me the impression that if our country was in a OMG situation (China attacks, aliens land, California drops off the planet) that he can be the head man in charge and everyone is cool with him calling the shots. He wouldn't just do a flyover.

It was interesting to me listening to him explaining W's first pitch. That was GREAT stuff right there, and it actually elevated my impression of W.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Should I bother to read it?

9. 93Devil

I also got the feeling that if the cameras were off and the six packs open, Obama would be a cool guy to watch the games with if he was the Prez or the guy running the Lowe's down the street. Obama was choosing words carefully in this interview.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yes. Because he can quote a few things he sees on SportsCenter makes me completely confident in his ability to handle an OMG situation.

11. 93Devil

Have you ever seen him lose his cool or not do the right thing in public?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Mizzougrad96

Clinton and W. were both the same way. I'm not saying it's the best way to choose our president, but you're a fool if you think this stuff doesn't matter.

I honestly have no idea about anyone before them.

Draft saved Draft deleted