1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons on Nash

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by badband, Dec 31, 2008.

1. badband

badband Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3797805

funny line about scott howard in the lead....one thing about nash that always bothered me was the fact that he never worked to get better on defense. i understand that d'antoni never coached it, but you would think that a player as accountable as nash would kill himself in the offseason to work on his one glaring weakness, and apparently he never did.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Bullshit, Nash's defensive limitations are due to his physical limitations, not a lack of effort or offseason work--the dude has always been tireless and devoted in both respects. No off season workout was gonna improve his wingspan, lateral quickness and foot speed any more than he already has.

There is some truth to Simmons' piece, though. A lot of Nash's dropoff is obviously due to the fact that he's now in his mid-30s and EVERY point guard has always declined at or before that age period. But the Suns really neutered much of what made Nash special when they ditched the 7 or less offense and traded for Shaq last year. Dantoni's was the offense Nash was born to run, he's much less dangerous in this one.

3. badband

badband Member

i agree that the shaq deal and the terry porter slowdown has de-emphasized nash's strengths. but there a lot of guys in the nba with physical limitations who find a way to keep their man from completely abusing them on the defensive end. nobody's asking nash to be bruce bowen out there, but he shouldn't be as deplorable as he is.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Stoney is dead on. You cannot criticize Nash for his work ethic, his physical limitiations are what make him a poor 1 on 1 defender.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I find it hard to believe that someone with such pronounced physical limitations could be so good on offense.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I find it hard to believe Simmons is pretending he's the first to realize Nash was a product of D'Antoni's system.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If Nash played for the Celtics, Simmons' hands would be so full of that guy's dick that he wouldn't be able to type this column.

8. badband

badband Member

there's been talk the knicks might make an add-on with lebron and bosh/stoudemire in 2010....by then nash should be about as mobile as brett favre.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

There's been talks that about 9 other teams are going to add Lebron and Bosh in 2010. Including the Pistons.

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Game. Set. Match.

Thank you everyone, drive home safely.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Simmons, overdosed on "Hoosiers," Larry Brown and the meatgrinder Celtics of the 1980s, apparently shits his pants if any basketball team burns off less than 22 seconds of the 24-second shot clock before taking a shot, and feels compelled to remind the world that There Is Only One Right Way To Play, and any team that attempts any other style of playing the game, isn't playing "real basketball."

And of course, everyone assumes that Nash is "gritty, hardworking" and "fundamentally sound." Of course.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I was trying to figure out why Simmons wrote about Kevin Nash.

Draft saved Draft deleted