1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons on Boston beat writers ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SheaSeals, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I dunno. He's an evangie, he holds hands with his best (male) friend, and seems a true believer.
    I'm a cynic, but not about that marriage.

2. IU90

IU90 Member

No shit, that "hate" article is bout the most hypocritical piece I've seen. Absolutely NOBODY in this business incessantly, unfairly, and childishly hates and takes cheap shots at his chosen targets (Colts, Manning, A-Rod, Yankees etc.) like Simmons, but as soon as he discovers there's people out there that would have the audacity to hate HIS Patriots he suddenly gets self-righteous and wonders why such a hateful sports culture should exist. That piece was fairly nauseating.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

See also Simmons' monotonous, incessant shots at Joe Dumars and the Detroit Pistons -- usually through a snotty, snarky, out-of-left-field, appropos-of-nothing essay on Darko Milicic. OK, Billy, we get it, Dumars fucked up, Darko was a bad pick. We get it. We got it the first 27,000 times you brought it up in your column.

4. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I wonder how he'd react to someone bringing up Len Bias as incessantly as he plays the Darko card. It'd be mean-spirited and I sure as hell wouldn't do it, but at its base it's the same thing. Dumars didn't know Darko wouldn't reach his potential just like Red didn't know Len would OD.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One of my decades-old thoughts is what the NBA -- and Celts -- would have been had Len Bias never died.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

In the sense of 'blogger-turned-'major'-columnist-without-any-dues-paying' is what I meant. He's one of the "New Jacks" in that sense, IMO, FB

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Agree on both takes, Dangerous K. :)

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

*stands and applauds*

Boy, you nailed it. And that's a HUGE source of Simmons' "douchosity."

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You know I am probably going to get grilled for typing this, but oh well.

I remember back when I was in college and the Suns were hosting the Bulls for the title and Lincicome said the Suns would "fold like tortillas." Well the tv media in town just went nuts with it and actually were waiting for Lincicome to come off the plane for a comment on how he could say something so bad about Our Lord and Savior Suns. Lincicome just said it was a column that was doing nothing more than stirring up interst in the story. It was done of course with "what the fuck are you sorry hicks doing talking to me" look on his face.

Since that day I have always felt that if you always agree with what a columnist writes, then the columnist is not doing their job. They are writing to make you agree or disagree with what they are writing. They want you to take a stand.

From what I am reading, Simmons is doing a great job stirring up intrest in topics. He is also making people passionate about what is written. I think that is the basic job of a columnist.

I read him, and I think a lot of what he writes is very funny and insightful. Some is not. So what. He has a great eye for the NBA and basketball. The betting feature with his wife was a great idea. His pop-culture references are very good. Do I care about the Celtics? Not really. Did I like his takes on the NCAA teams? Yes. I thought it was very good.

I have often thought about the amount of time he must spend watching TV and watching sports to keep current with all of the pop culture. He must not sleep. The wife comment was off a bit, but you cannot agree all 4,000 words.

10. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I'd say he has a great mind for NBA history, but when it comes to actual basketball analysis Pat Forde blows him out of the water.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I agree. Plenty of people are superior basketball analysts to Simmons, from a variety of angles (strategic, statistical, etc). For a guy who has never worked a beat or covered the NBA, however, he does have a good eye for the game, IMO. Sometimes it takes him awhile to catch on (like how the no handcheck rule helped elevate Nash to an MVP), but he does catch on and he usually gets it right, at least when he steps back from his (not untypical for sportswriters) fanboy or "I staked out one position before, so I can't go back on it now" stances.

It took him time to get over the whole Kobe over Nash MVP thing, but he has since regained his faculties on that matter and now has a much greater appreciation of Nash's talents, particularly in light of the defensive rule alterations.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Good Simmons: Red Auerbach tribute piece

Bad Simmons: "This is ourrrr country" x 5,000,000

Draft saved Draft deleted