1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons nails one: Good column on Elgin Baylor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/081008

Maybe my judgment is skewed by my shock that he gave an inch to a Lakers guy, but this column, while a tad overlong, is solid work by Simmons.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I agree. Baylor's joke of a tenure as Clippers GM has obscured how great (and significant) he was as a player. You could say a lot of the same things about Isiah Thomas, though it's clear Thomas wasn't/isn't as well-liked around the league as Baylor.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Have to admit that is a dam fine column and a nice tribute to Baylor.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I was just about to post that this was a very good column by Simmons. He is knowledgeable and passionate about the NBA and when he doesn't dip into his repertoire of cliches, he is a talented writer. I don't care for the NBA, but when Simmons writes about it, I'll generally read it.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Never thought I'd see "Simmons" with "nails one" and "good column" in the same phrase on this board.

But it is good and I don't mind the length. Good anecdotes, history and opinion.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I liked it as well, though he did manage to slip a "Back To The Future" reference in there.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agreed, a nice tribute.

Anyone else notice an ever-widening gap between Simmons' NBA columns and his stuff on everything else? The NBA's always been what he does best, but now it's the only area where he's still got the fastball. The pop-culture hipster act has grown pathetically stale, his Boston-centric pieces have become utterly unreadable, but he still consistently does the NBA damn well.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I made sure to email that column to my dad. Baylor was his hero while dad grew up on a farm in Minnesota.

During the offseason, the Lakers would do some barnstorming throughout the state - which many baseball players did as well of course. The year before Elgin joined the Lakers, they played against a group of southwest Minnesota "all-stars" - no, really - in a town of 1,000. The one memory my dad has from watching that game is seeing Hot Rod Hundley coming out of the locker room at halftime with a cigarette in his mouth, and then stomping it out on the hallway floor before taking the court.

Anyway, Elgin was my dad's main man, and he wrote a letter to the Lakers and Baylor his rookie season. He got an autographed message in return, and that picture was his most prized possession for a long time. Actually, it still might be.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Yep. I think it is the stuff he knows the best and cares the most about. My guess is that the mailbags and other detritus of his swirling vortex of cliched suckitude gets better page clicks, so his editors still want him to write it. They would be better off letting him write all NBA all the time during the season.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Simmons has always written very good NBA columns. Nothing else he does comes close.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Very good column by Simmons. Interesting thing about Baylor. His father named him Elgin because when he found out that his wife gave birth, he looked at his watch to see what time it was. The watch was an Elgin.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's one of the all-time great phrases ever written here.

Draft saved Draft deleted