1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons' latest ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Mar 12, 2008.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

More focus on the father's message, and what enabled him to deliver it, would've been pertinent, and far more insightful than the Wire (which I admit I've never seen).

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Nor has most of America. But don't let that get in the way of "good writing."

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've never seen The Wire either, so any references fall flat with me. Not that a writer making a pop culture reference has to pick something that 90 percent of the audience knows, but IMO there's no way more than 20 percent of his readers get HBO and watch The Wire. That would give me pause as a writer, never mind that in this type of story it's unnecessary already.

EDIT: yeah, what appgrad said.

4. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Are you saying this story shouldn't have been written?

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Soccer? What's that?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Am I wrong to think that at one time the star high school athletes were off limits from crime and gangs?

Was there a street code about this?

Obviously, that is not true anymore, but I thought I read that somewhere once.

Maybe it was in Heaven is a Playground?

Oh, the Wire stuff should have been in a separate column, IMHO. He could have referenced the death, but to meld the two was just too much for me.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's why pop-culture references don't belong in stories like this. They would have been better off to let someone else write this story. Like one of the investigative reporters who write more newsy features, and do it well.

Stick to the mailbags Bill, and not the crappy one you "MAILED IN" this week.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not that it shouldn't have been written, but unfortunately, there is rarely anything unique or newsworthy about any of these stories any more.

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I love Bottle Caps.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

They are Willy Wonka's finest creation.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Shit. You gotta at least go to school to at least be left behind. [/Kenard]

12. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

There's a reason A.E. Housman's "To An Athlete Dying Young" gets taught in nearly every high school poetry class; there's a reason students always respond to that poem and remember it. The finest prep athletes achieve a level of notoriety that dwarfs everyone else in school. They're envied and respected, admired and coddled, cheered and idolized. Everyone else would trade places with them in a heartbeat. It's a gift; not an important gift, not a life-altering gift, but still a gift. When that gift gets taken away, it gets taken away from everyone.

Had a typical student with good grades been gunned down, the story wouldn't have attracted as much attention. When it's a star football player with a chance to make something of his life? It matters to people who didn't even know him. Maybe he would have starred in college. Maybe he would have starred in the pros. Maybe he would have injured a knee next season, and that would have been that. There's no way to know. What mattered was the promise that something could happen, that something might happen. And although A.E. Hausman believed it's a blessing in disguise for an athlete to pass early ...

Come on. Just...come on.

Draft saved Draft deleted