1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons defends McGwire, rips Ann Killion

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Take this from a pro: You are so fucking immature.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You a pro? You ... mature?

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Not the sharpest knife in the cutlery, huh?

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It's not slander if you say it on a blog or a message board. It's libel. Pretty sure I'm right about this.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

written=libel
    spoken=slander

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you're right, too.

Janie,

If you're going to make the argument that says steroid use doesn't matter, better to do it the LeBatard way - much as I disagree with him - than like this. You want to take shots at other columnists in print, you take off the Jimmy Kimmel robes for a night, and put on the big boy pants.

I mean this: Simmons is going to look back in 20 years and regret his unwillingness to shift out of this mode, just at the time he could have.

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

slacker nihilism....cheap sanctimony

janie, who do you write for - i'd like to read your stuff

8. Simmons needs to shut up and grow a few. People getting slandered on blogs and message boards isn't a big problem, and it doesn't relate at all to the argument he was making. Up until there, he was talking about obscenity.

9. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

This strikes me as the class clown [albeit a very intelligent, highly-paid one] trying to write the valedictorian speech and not quite pulling it off. I agree that he didn't need to pick on Killion to write this viewpoint, but since she writes for a [gasp!] newspaper, that furthered his personal agenda.

I realize that several big-shot columnists have no-edit clauses, but I believe Simmons has really been hurt by the fact that nobody at espn.com does any editing anyway. If that were the case, maybe he would have been forced to grow as a writer. I'll agree he's talented--but he's so stagnant now, he's uninteresting if you don't happen to root for the Sawx and pahk your cah.

And the 'slandered anonymously' comment is so childish. Is it any worse than constantly ripping people [like Dawk Rivers] whom you never speak to?

Draft saved Draft deleted