1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons defends McGwire, rips Ann Killion

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070103

An excerpt:

<i> San Jose Mercury News columnist Ann Killion wrote that she can't vote for McGwire because she wouldn't be able to explain it to her kids.

She concluded her column with this: "All I can do is cast my own vote judiciously. And be able to look my kids in the eyes when I do it."

Ann, I'm glad you're such a thoughtful mom. Seriously, that's great. </i>

And:

<i> And anyway, part of our country's problem is the shortsighted way we "protect" our kids from life's harsh realities. Janet Jackson's nipple slip was such a traumatic moment for Americans that some live sporting events now run on tape-delay, and Howard Stern fled to SIRIUS to escape the clutches of the increasingly fascistic FCC. Meanwhile, any kid can glimpse Britney's crotch if he or she is even remotely familiar with Google, and <b> anyone can be slandered anonymously on a blog or message board. </b> </i>

Thoughts?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Yes, this country is naively prudish when it comes to some really stupid shit.

And Killion doesn't have to defend her stance on her vote. If some dumb fuck is a prick enough not to vote Willie Mays or Hank Aaron as a first ballot hall of famer, and still has a vote after the fact, she's surely free not to vote for a .220 hitter who like another certain west coast hitter became good again at an age where doing so naturally just doesn't happen.

3. just read the column. it's great!

enjoyed the lupica rip.

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

In my humble opinion, I think McGwire would garner a lot of votes if he just simply manned-up and came clean about all the shit he did. That's probably what pisses everyone off: McGwire just doesn't have the courage to own up for his actions. Even though it is tired, the "Ty Cobb is in" argument is valid. Who would you rather have your kids look up to and idolize: Cobb or McGwire?

PS - Simmons has a good damn point about the media and the rest of America being very hypocritical.

PPS - J-Dub, you liked the Lupica rip? GET OUT! :eek:

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

From one of my favorite op/ed columnists ...

...Lately, though, it’s become harder to tell the sports page from the rest of the newspaper. Largely due to money and TV celebrity, jocks now draw outsized personal scrutiny once reserved for Hollywood actors, Washington politicians, serial killers and girl singers who misplace their underpants. Mostly, it’s merely annoying to see sports commentators posing as moral arbiters, prosecutor, judge and jury. Then there’s the BALCO investigation in San Francisco, a media-driven probe of alleged steroid abuse by professional athletes that’s beginning to rival Kenneth Starr’s probe of the Very Naughty President for misplaced prosecutorial zeal and dangerous constitutional precedents.
    Incredibly, this seemingly endless federal investigation, whose main purpose appears to be to prevent an unpopular baseball player from breaking a “hallowed” career home-run record, or, at minimum, depriving said slugger of public esteem accompanying the feat, now poses serious threats to the First and Fourth amendment rights of all Americans.

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Editorial/177611/

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not about who my kids should admire. It's about who earned their way in. Cobb obviously did. McGwire was Dave Kingman, until he suddenly became Babe Ruth at an age most guys are declining. It's fair to think that he was a mediocre player--one who barely broke .200 one season before he began cheating--made great by artificial means. And given that, it's fair if you believe he doesn't deserve induction, as a result.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Simmons wrote:

First off, I've gotten a gift certificate for a restaurant once for going on a radio show. Once. And I've gone on this show countless times in a major market over the years. And anyone would be tempted to do whatever it takes to dramatically improve themselves. Of course, that's under the assumption that what I was doing was legal. You mean steroids aren't? Oops!

Simmons went on:

But I consider it condoning. Or at least looking the other way.

Simmons says:

He's basically right here. But that's another argument for another day.

Simmons:

Apples, meet the oranges. Even though you two have nothing to do with each other.

Simmons:

Zinggggggggggg! But there goes your Sports Reporters seat, Billy.

Simmons:

This is actually an interesting point. And perhaps I'd agree with him if he said they wouldn't get a plaque, and would be set up in a seperate wing of the hall so as to leave no doubt about the way they got in.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agree with that, absolutely 100%.

And to add to that: Bonds earned his way in, too. The steroids are unfortunate -- but if Bonds retires in 1998, he's already in the Hall as we speak.

McGwire, however, is definitely not a Hall of Famer before the steroids. And, arguably, he's not even a Hall of Famer now. He's got one HOF number: 583. Too one-dimensional in my book, regardless of steroids.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

He probably started using in the late '90s. That's when he picked back up to the kind of numbers he posted early.
    His first full season in '89 he hit 49 HRs and was .289. His career average was 50 HRs and .263.
    The first six years he averaged 36 HRs, and the last six full years he averaged a little over 52 HRs. He acknowledged Andro use then, which was legal and an OTC supplement at the time but that wasn't cheating. He certainly didn't violate the letter of baseball's law then.
    And in the late 90s everyone was hitting more homers, that probably explains a little bit of the bump up. But not all of it.
    I just think it is kind of funny that people like Ann Killon, who I'm sure is a fine writer, isn't taking a harder look at any of the current players in any of the leagues. If she wants to look her kid in the eyes years later, she better get on bus and start writing about how most professional athletes are using and abusing prescription pain pills.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Does he? I mean, sports journalists can be arbiters when it comes to judging trades and pitching changes, but not otherwise?

To me, it's a column about Honesty, but not Truth. Everything Simmons writes about the "world" about Lupica and Cobb may all be true. But you don't make decisions on the basis of how consistent they are with old decisions, or how consistent they are with the "real world."

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I thought it was one of his best columns in recent memory.

12. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

By far one of his best columns in recent memory, but he almost blows it by reverting back to his silly cliches. It almost concerns me that he can't try to make an argument without trying (hard) to make someone chuckle.

To me, McGwire's in. But I believe that the voting outlines considering a player's character, during and after his career, and that's unfortunately what's going to hold him up in a lot of people's minds.

Draft saved Draft deleted