1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons column dies in "The Mag"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Jul 3, 2009.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Apologies if this is a d_b or old news:

Simmons announces his column is ending in the magazine.

http://thebiglead.com/?p=15449

2. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Nothing personal, Bill. I'm just not a fan.

[​IMG]

3. bob

bob Member

Never cared much for him, either. Then he paid me a compliment in one of his columns. Sorry to see him go.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It's not like he's really going anywhere, though. His mag columns always seemed like throwaways anyway. And he says he'll still be doing features for them, plus all his espn.com work obviously.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Someone still subscribes to this? Why?

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I like Simmons, but never cared much for his magazine column. His best columns are the 2,000+ word running diaries on the NBA Draft, or similarly long and weird analysis on sports and television shows from the 1980s and 1990s. Neither one really translates well to print.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As everyone knows, I don't care for Simmons' work. That's just personal taste, I respect his success. And from that point of view, this is a good move for him. Simmons writes too much, or more accurately, generates too much content. He frickin' tweets the word count of a Dickens novel many days. NOBODY can say so much without having an increased percentage of it suck on its own terms.
    Bill is taking a step to protect his brand. Smart decision.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It just shows up. And in some ways, it's much better than it was 3-4 years ago, seems to me.

10. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

If only it was, Simmons mag column dies, takes The Mag with it.

11. Of this thread's 660 views at the time I type this, how many do you think are from Billyboy himself? 50 maybe?

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Mag has better writing in it than people give it credit for. Finally got around to reading Jones' piece on the kid who was sailing solo around the world. Outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted