1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simers vs. Mora

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And by starting Brady Quinn, Chiefs are essentially doing the same thing.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Most times, there's a reason for that.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Really? To prove that they're not over there?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Gold

Gold Active Member

Sorry I'm late to this.

As usual, T.J. Simers is all about being T.J. Simers. I think if there were other times when interviews with Simers were on video, I think it would show similar things.

Back in the 70's, people would look at someone like Simers and say, "He's a real bullshit artist". I don't hear that expression much anymore, but it fits Simers to a T.J.

Let us look how Simers worked here. He had this idea that UCLA tanked, and since he knows better than the rest of the world, he decided it would be a great idea for UCLA to lose to Stanford. Simers was going to write it that way, come hell, high water, or simple facts staring you in the face.

The most obvious fact is that UCLA would play Oregon at home (Rose Bowl). That would mean more money (for no other reason than you would sell more gear), potentially more alumni financial support, and more local excitement about UCLA football after USC had dominated the news by a big margin. There is also the fact, as Mora said and as can be easily verified by watching the game, that UCLA played their starters for most of the game.

Perhaps an argument could be made that maybe some starters should have been pulled, but Mora decided not to do that. What's funny was that the preceding week, Simers wrote a column defending Lane Kiffin's position as USC coach and saying we should have faith because Pat Haden defended Kiffin.

I have mentioned before that I remember when he was the sports editor at a New Jersey paper 30 years ago. He was a self-centered person who wrote ridiculous stuff then, and he is pretty much the same way today. A BS artist.

Football is the one thing TJ knows something about. The Lakers are the main attraction in southern California, and TJ has no understanding of basketball. The Kings won the Stanley Cup, and TJ has no knowledge of ice hockey and is proud of it. Whatever knowledge he has about baseball is outdated. The only thing he really knows about is the NFL, but there hasn't been an NFL team in southern California for nearly 20 years.

Simers is pretty big in a physical sense, and I think he tries to bully people. Mora said he wasn't scared of him. If you have Simers figured out, there is no reason to fear him, and no reason to respect him.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Your most obvious fact is not a fact. Oregon would have had home-field advantage.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Basically, yes. Not sure it's the case here, but how many times have you seen a presser and the coach/player is scanning the room looking for the person asking the question? Typically at bigger events, obviously. But yes, it does serve a purpose. I'd rather the coach/player hear my entire question instead of scanning the room and having me repeat the question once he figures out who's asking it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Correct. Only way UCLA was hosting the game was if it beat Stanford and Oregon State won the Civil War. UCLA knew before it kicked off that if it won, it was going to Oregon, if it lost, it was going to Stanford.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The NBA just fined the Spurs $250000 for not trying their hardest. Thoughts?

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I wish every NBA team would sit its starters for a game, or multiple games.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mora's not scared of Stern, either.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Looks like UCLA is trying very hard after that first drive.

I want UCLA not just because I'm a UCLA fan but for the Simers-Mora postgame presser and tomorrow's column.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

There's a game on?

Draft saved Draft deleted