1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simers vs. Mora

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Nov 26, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Readers' comments were probably more entertaining than the column.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The one thing I've heard consistently about Simers is that in cases where he's quoting himself or portraying the back-and-forth, things aren't what they seem. Like, when you're driving home and thinking "You know what I should have said is ..." well, TJ maybe has those thoughts and then in his column that becomes what he did say. Haven't observed it either way myself, but again, it is a pretty consistent theme I hear in discussions about him.

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Yes, and then they all use the quotes he elicited.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A very fair point....

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Think of the quotes he could generate if he threw a shoe at Mora's head.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He just accused the guy of commiting a felony. I don't care who you write for or how glorious you think your shit smells because you appear on ESPN; if you can't back that up with solid proof you deserve to be fired at the very least.

7. LongTimeListener

Not trying is a felony?

A third of the NBA is going on trial every year.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Fixing games is. NFL coaches are indifferent to preseason outcomes, not actively working for losses.

9. LongTimeListener

All that's being alleged here is Mora didn't try his hardest. Fixing games is specifically related to gambling.

Harold Carmichael couldn't reach what you're throwing.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The funniest thing Mora said is how he called a timeout at the 6:34 mark, which proves he wasn't throwing in the towel.

Every great production needs great acting.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Wally Hall is God?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Another perspective: Mora game-planned for an 8-quarter game against Stanford.

UCLA lost the first 4 quarters? Eh, so what.

All the Bruins really have to do is win the last 4 quarters -- and even then all the Bruins have to do is play Stanford straight-up for a while and win 2 quarters to get to the $13 million big game. It's Mora's end-around and beautifully played.

Draft saved Draft deleted