1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simers vs. Mora

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Nov 26, 2012.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Watching postgame presser of Jim Mora after Stanford, he and Simers twice got into it. Here's link with video:

http://coachingsearch.com/home/1818-jim-mora-jr-argues-with-columnist-over-uclas-effort-you-dont-scare-me.html

Too adversarial for a press conference? Suppose it would be difficult to get him off to side after it's finished.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Starting to think that is Simers schtick

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I thought Simers was way out of line with some of those questions and I thought Mora handled himself pretty well.

Asking someone if they gave up and stopped trying intentionally is highly offensive to any player or coach.

Simers was looking for a big reaction and I get that, but I have no problem with the way Mora answered anything.

The "You don't scare me" line also wasn't nearly as "threatening" as they are trying to make it seem.

I'm a huge Simers fan, but he was the one being ultra-confrontational here...

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I like T.J. Simers almost as much as you, but I agree.

Also, Jim L. Mora doesn't deserve that. He's not Rick Neuheisel. I am pretty sure Neuheisel would have liked to punch Simers in the face a few dozen times on the day he got canned.

5. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

See this is why coaches and athletes have so little respect for us. That was bullshit on the part of Simers. If say that was really Mora's intention he would have been an idiot to admit it in a press conference. At the very least he would have pissed off Stanford for next week and at the most he might have been fired. But honestly I don't believe any coach in that situation considers not giving his best in a game. That is not how it works. Simers boss should be in his ass today.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Almost forgot to add: Jim Mora Jr. is not a person.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Simers usually comes across as being somewhat playful, even if he's intentionally annoying the subject to get a certain reaction or quote.

He was way over the line here. He all but accused Mora of tanking the game.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You can scratch the "all but" part.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/football/la-sp-1125-simers-ucla-20121125,0,5265812,full.column

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Simers: "How do you deal with that (beating USC)?"
    Mora: "I don't know yet TJ. What I'll do is follow my routine."
    Simers: "This isn't routine."
    Mora: "Well it is for me. I'm 1-0."

Scoreboard.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Simers was indeed way out of line.

However, Mora's quotes were excellent, far better than what he ever would have given with the perfunctory "Coach, talk about how you handled knowing you were going to the championship anyway."

So the method worked for Simers, it worked for Mora and it worked for the readers.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's a good summation. I liked the column.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In heaven, every sentence is a paragraph.

Draft saved Draft deleted