1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simers shows versatility

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silentbob, Jan 16, 2007.

1. silentbob

silentbob Member

Apologize if this has been posted, but we often see Simers as jaded and saracastic, and I thought this was pretty good, worthy of BASW in my opinion. Touching story about a man who died at the Rose Bowl. Didn't hurt that the man's wife was a quote machine.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers7jan07,1,6681228.column?coll=la-headlines-sports

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I wouldn't say this is a sign of his versatility. Long-time readers know he writes these stories from time to time. The one he wrote about his daughter before (or right after) her wedding was a classic.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

BASW? Pretty big stretch.

Unless you mean Best American Sports Wife.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

As the board's ultimate Simers basher let me say two things:

1. That was excellent.
    2. For all of you youngsters who worship at the altar "f'in' young stud" flowery prose, please note how simply told that story is... by setting scenes and letting the subjects tell their story.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think I am the ultimate Simers basher. It was a good story because it told a story and it wasn't all about TJ. Rest assured, he went right back to writing his usual tripe in succeeding columns.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

OK, Gold, I'll be 1A to your No. 1 TJ Basher.

7. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

It's too bad people mostly know Simers for his columns. He was a dandy reporter before his current role. I recall reading him when the Chargers made the Super Bowl. He wrote about one player whose brother was on death row. Fantastic story, so this one surprises not in the least.

8. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

simers is awesome. great job here, too. he just simply gets it.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Indeed.

What amazed me is that the family would talk to T.J. The guy comes off like a prick in most of his columns, so he wouldn't be the writer I'd pick to deliver warm fuzzies about one of my recently deceased family members. I'd probably say, "Can't I talk to that Plaschke fellow instead?" Maybe they were not regular readers.

Yes, he was a terrific reporter, but not one known for great sensitivity. Perhaps he's trying to show his feminine side.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

He does throw the occasional slider, but even the usual fastballs are more a schtick than real meanness.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Because this a rare feel-good TJ thread, Gold and I will refrain from discussing the very real meanness of the man.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

OK, I'll take the pledge too for this thread and even for the rest of today and tomorrow

Draft saved Draft deleted