1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Signs of summer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You know, before I opened this thread I saw the title and thought, hmmmm, we have local strawberries and lettuce now. I take this as a sign of advancing age.

One piece of advice I can give you on the farmers' market is to make conversation with the farmers, ask where their farm is, when they expect a certain crop to come in, how long we can expect this item to be in season? Many of them are real talkers and if they get to know you a little, they will take care of you better. I was kind of new at this but was just interested enough to ask questions, and one farmer said, "You really ought to drive up to the farm, everything we sell there is picked that day, and this is what didn't sell."

The other thing I've found is that they can be really fucking catty about each other. They're worse than us, I'd love to see them have a message board.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

that's a great point.
    Didn't realize it, but last season I kept going to the same guy because we got to know each other and started talking. Wasn't intentional, but it turned out good.
    He wasn't there last weekend. His shop was, but he wasn't. Probably time to make new friends.

Draft saved Draft deleted