1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Signs of summer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I'm not a huge fan of summer because it gets so dang hot.

But ... one of my favorite signs of summer is shopping at the Farmer's Market. I just returned from buying a watermelon, a cantaloupe and some ears of sweet corn. YUM. Just walking around and taking in the fragrance of the fresh produce gives you this invigorated sense to go home and cook or BBQ out with family and friends or go to the pool.

And ... It also reminds me of the half-acre vegetable garden my family and I created for two summers when I was in middle school. My dad built a wooden stand for my sister and I to sell tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, green beans, watermelons and squash, all off of our property. I loved those summers - not a care in the world except to get up and tend to the garden. We made $1,200 the first summer, and that's a lot when you're selling a tomato for 50 cents.

I learned some valuable lessons: saving your money is important, working hard pays off, okra itches like all-get-out, sunflower plants grow too tall for a 12 year old to pick out the seeds, rabbits love to eat watermelon, cucumbers populate faster than rabbits and nothing beats eating fresh produce.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Amen sxy! :D

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll give you a sign of summer ... the heat index here today is 100. Suck Fummer!

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Hey, sxy, how about hot, shirtless guys driving around town with the tops off their Jeeps? :D

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

That's a good one, too. How could I leave that off?

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

And you all think us men are bad...:D

7. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Girls in sexy, short white outfits that become translucent in direct sunlight.

Yesssss!

I love summer.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Sweaty, shirtless construction workers ... their ripped and tanned shoulders glistening in the sun ...

Dammit ... I gotta start writing Harlequin novels.

9. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Women in heat.

Another reason to love summer. :)

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Ditto on the farmer's market. Made it last weekend, will be going back this weekend. Damn these dayshifts, can't get there during the week.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Weddings!

Bridesmaids!

Free liquor!

12. John

John Well-Known Member

When I'm on vacation, I know it's summer. No other time of year when I can get more than two days off.

Draft saved Draft deleted