1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Signage on outfield wall at Wrigley Field

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Assholes.... can't some fucker ... like MLB... pay them to NOT do that?

For fuck's sake.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Fucking fuckers. You just don't fuck with this. This is almost worse than when they added those extra rows of seats in the front. Fuckers.

3. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I think it would be cool if they returned to the old style, like an Ebbets Field type, and threw up some local ads on the walls. Those were cool and creative.

Under Armour? Not so much.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I want my Maypo ads. :(

5. pallister

pallister Guest

It's not like the Cubs have been very good at protecting their house in the last 99 years.

6. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Look...

I'm a huge Cubs fan. And Wrigley remains one of my favorite places on earth. And I'm certainly all for keeping baseball's delicate hymen of integrity and purity intact.

All I'm saying is that, to be fair, there are soccer teams with scads more fans and tradition that don't just plaster advertisements around their stadiums, but their own uniforms as well

Baseball, and to a much, much larger extend the Cubs, has done a good job at digging in its heels when it can against this sort of thing. I'm not a fan of this either, but looking at it from an international standpoint, it's not that bad.

7. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Our leagues are the only ones that don't have ads plastered on the unis...with the exception of Nike, who has made every single college uniform their own personal billboard.

But I think it'll be a long time before they start throwing ads on uniforms, particularly teams that are viewed as the "classics" in American sports.

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

It's a great park to watch a game, and I appreciate history as much as the next guy... but it's a stadium, not a museum. It's not the Louvre, it's not Gettysburg, it's not the Washington Monument. If anything, it's a monument to futility and public drunkenness. There are ads everywhere, there's Motorola in the dugout, Bud Light bleachers, etc.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

'03 was their year. And I mean 2003. They were supposed to start the whole apocalypse World Series winners run, followed by both Sox outfits.

But they blew it.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

There's always next century.

11. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

It could be a lot worse.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

San Diago... whale's vagina... agree to disagree.

Draft saved Draft deleted