1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Signage on outfield wall at Wrigley Field

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Feb 15, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I know that this is common at just about every major-league park, even Fenway Park, but it's still sad to see this happen at the Friendly Confines:

[​IMG]

<a href="http://blogs.trb.com/sports/custom/weblog/wgnsports/2007/02/post_2.html">
    This is according to the WGN-TV Cubs blog.</a>

What's next at Wrigley Field? A World Series winner? OK, now that IS crazy talk.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

'08 is their year ... and I don't mean 1908.

PS. No, I'm not a Cubs fan. Quite the opposite, Cardinals.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The ads are actually going to be on the metal gates in the wall, not the wall itself. Be kinda hard to see behind all that ivy.

4. ondeadline

True, but the gates are part of the outfield wall. If an outfielder caught a fly ball at the gate, the announcer probably wouldn't say, "he caught the ball at the gate." But, really, calling it a gate or a wall doesn't matter. It still looks bad.

5. Armchair_QB

Ads on the wall/gates were going to happen sooner or later. I don't have a problem with them. The Trib knows they can't fuck with the ivy or the fans would raise holy hell so the ads on the gate are a good compromise.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine actually ordered a sprig of ivy from Wrigley and got it to grow in his backyard.

But that's neither here nor there.

That picture is either photoshopped or the signs were there last summer. That ivy's not too green right now.

7. Armchair_QB

The picture is photoshopped. Comcast Chicago ran it during their show last night to show what the billboard would look like.

8. ondeadline

It is photoshopped. It's from the WGN blog and they're just trying to show how it's going to look.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Ads on outfield walls used to be the norm in baseball. Heck, wasn't the Green Monster once adorned with a multitude of ads?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes... but those ads were cool. there's a difference... ;)

11. ondeadline

The only cool ads are the ones that I never see because of the Firefox adblocker!

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

One of the theories on how "bullpen" got is name was that it was the area behind the Bull Durham Tobacco Co. outfield sign at some major-league park. That would have been around 1909 or so. So, yeah, outfield ads are nothing new.

Draft saved Draft deleted