1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sign the scorecard? Not as Wie-sy as it sounds

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doubledown68, Jul 19, 2008.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

My mistake.

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i'd be curious to know the timeline of when the LPGA informed Wie that there might be a problem with her Friday scorecard.
    Also, I'm sure they were trying to find a way to give her the benefit of the doubt.
    Earlier this year, Stewart Cink was disqualified about seven holes into Saturday's round for a rules violation that occurred in Friday's round. Rules officials spent quite a bit of time while Cink (who alerted the rules officials about a potential problem) was playing his round trying to figure out what happened and what the outcome would be.
    about two weeks later, the rule cink violated was changed because it was a dumb rule (had to do with a situation in a bunker).
    Bottom line is Wie didn't sign her scorecard, a fundamental rule which is drilled into golfers from the time they play their first tournament.
    She screwed up and DQ was the only outcome regardless of when the LPGA rendered a decision.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

My biggest beef is that she did sign the scorecard. Just not in the "scoring area" which was loosely defined at the tournament. And she signed it without leaving the grounds. If she leaves without signing, fine. If she fixes the problem within 30 feet of the tent, then there's a problem.

As others have said, DQ is a stiff penalty for something that didn't affect her score in any way.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Every time I read this explanation of what happened, I become more convinced that there was no way on earth she should have been DQ'd:

Wie told reporters that after she finished her round Friday, she left the tent just above the ninth green where players sign their scorecards. She was chased down by volunteers working in the tent, who pointed out she hadn't signed.

Wie returned to the tent and signed the card, and "I thought it would be OK," she said.

But Wie, according to Witters, had already walked outside the roped-off area around the tent. At that point, the mistake was final, Witters said.

Witters said she and other tour officials didn't learn about the mistake from volunteers until well after Wie teed off Saturday morning, so they let her finish the round.

Not only did she sign the scorecard, there was no LPGA official in the scorer's tent when this supposed violation happened. If the volunteers didn't happen to mention it Saturday morning, no LPGA official would even have known and she would have continued playing.

TOTAL BULLSHIT!

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Unless he personally injured her wrist or caused yesterday's DQ . . . what is your relevant beef with him?

6. BTExpress

May you get pulled over for rolling through a stop sign and going 1 mph over the speed limit.

Rules are rules, after all.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

She signed the damn scorecard, Junkie.
    The bullshit violation was that she had left the scoring area and one of the volunteers called her back to tell her to sign the card.
    Of course, there was NO LPGA official in the scoring area at the time so if the volunteers weren't talking about it Saturday morning, the LPGA would never have known because the LPGA Tour couldn't be bothered to actually have an official in the scoring tent!
    TBS!

8. BTExpress

Fixed.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The LPGA should have an official there to make sure this didn't happen. Why there wasn't one in the scorers' area is perplexing.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Don't mean to threadjack, but...

Just got an e-mail from a kid who played in a big amateur tournament here this weekend. Wanted us to put in the results that he was DQd (he wasn't among the top finishers in any of the flights, though). Said when he got home, he realized he had signed an incorrect scorecard, so he called the tournament organizers, told them what happened, and said he should be DQd.

Still trying to get a hold of the organizers to see if this was true.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

She didn't sign the card in the proper way/place?

BULLSHIT!

And the LPGA did not disqualify her in a proper fashion because nobody knew about it until she already was on the course Saturday.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if you were a cop, you'd be a pig.

Draft saved Draft deleted