1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sign of Economic Apocalypse #6 - Starbucks closing 600 shops

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

One example is the Corydon area in Winnipeg.

From Wikipedia:

Anti-competitive tactics
    Some of the methods Starbucks has used to expand and maintain their dominant market position, such as buying out competitors' leases, acquiring independent coffee shops and converting them into Starbucks stores, and clustering several locations in a small geographical area (i.e., saturating the market), have been labeled anti-competitive by critics.[53] For example, Starbucks fueled its initial expansion into the UK market with a buyout of a major potential competitor (the 49 outlet, UK-based Seattle Coffee Company), then used its capital and influence to obtain prime locations, some of which operated at a financial loss. Critics claimed this was an unfair attempt to drive out small, independent competitors, who could not afford to pay inflated prices for premium real estate.[54]

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The list:

http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/USStoreClosureInfo.pdf

Your Starbucks is most likely to closing if:

-- It's located in or near a mall.
    -- It's in an outer-ring suburb that didn't build out to projections thanks to the housing crisis.
    -- It's in an urban location where Starbucks was drawn in as a symbol of hope to turn around a high-crime or otherwise dicey area.
    -- It's in Fargo or Baton Rouge.
    -- It's in a downtown location or otherwise near multiple other shops.
    -- It was opened in 2006 or afterward (which describes a lot of the above locations).

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

All my Starbucks are safe, so I'm okay with this. Wouldn't mind if they opened some Seattle's Bests out this way (Borders is too far away)

4. My dumbass mall has two Starbucks: one upstairs and one downstairs. One of them is closing.

Now what am I supposed to do if I'm on level 1 and the Starbucks is on level 2?!?!

There's also a freestanding Starbucks less than a mile down the road.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Starbucks could have learned a lesson or two from Boston Market about overexpansion.

But part of Starbucks' whole business plan was ubiquity, to be on every corner in every town. Now maybe they have a new plan.'

Which includes opening 200 new stores – hardly what you would do in an actual environment of "economic apocalypse."

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

WHEW!!! The Starbucks downstairs from my office is safe. More hookups for me from the girls behind the register that love me.

7. Grimace

Grimace Guest

You mean coffee, right?

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I bet the strippers at your local establishment can't get enough of you either.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

That reminds me of the line from Forgetting Sarah Marshall. "I bet you think the strippers really like you too."
    And one Starbucks in my town is getting the ax.
    I did a story couple weeks back that one or two were probably going to shutdown. I got an angry phone call from a Starbucks PR person on my "reckless speculation."
    Now, one is going to close.
    That whore can suck it.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Or Mobile.

Also, two more locations closing here in addition to two previously announced. One of the new closures is about a mile away from ... wait for it ... Steve & Barry's.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

One in my town is getting the ax. The one in the mall that I've never been to. Meh.

For the sweet love of all that is holy, I hope the fine folks at Caribou are paying attention and going to pick up a cheap lease.

Once you get used to Caribou, you realize how shitty Starbucks coffee is. It's strong and it's hot, but I can get that at any truck stop.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not that commercial real estate needed any help to suck right now, but this is going to hurt a lot. I don't see a lot of banks or fast food joints in a position to snap up these freestanding units.

Draft saved Draft deleted