1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SIDs should double-check stories and photos

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Nov 12, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This is honest to god the weirdest thread I've seen on this board.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, if I see a spot on the schedule where a team is going on the road for a prolonged stretch...I'll ask our photog to shoot a game like crazy, so we have some extra stuff on file for just that purpose. Especially early in the season when it's nice to have extra shots of numerous players in case something else comes up anyway.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Ranks right up there with complaining that AP started abbreviating September "Sep." sted "Sept." in agate.

Life's too short, y'all.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

At least THAT affects newspapers.

This is just ridiculous.

5. JPsT

JPsT Member

Plus, the subject is just a true statement. I agree. Everyone should make sure everything they're posting is in its proper place, but what the thread seems to be about is whether or not it's acceptable to use file art for a gamer on a school's athletic site.

It's not like the SID who posted it accidentally used a file photo then said "Oh, crap. Should've double-checked the photo."

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

All they have to do is make it clear in the caption -- Lawrence Alexander, shown last season, did something -- and you're fine. Or just credit the photo as an archive shot. Nobody's getting fired here.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Thread includes the best word ever invented (y'all), so it's not a total bust.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me of the Seinfeld episode about nothing.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

A lot of schools just have the SID take a photo with a point and shoot from an event. I'd prefer old art to something as crappy as a ugly, blurry shot taken with a $100 camera.

Draft saved Draft deleted