1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sid the Kid has two goals and two assists in Pens 5-0 win. 1st game in 11 months

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 21, 2011.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

This. I'm having fun laughing at the drool-fest though. You would have thought I made the suggestion that Jesus Tebow broke his hymen while at an American Family Association event.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It's not a Canadian thing; it's a human thing.

Yes, we're going to go through the drill when Peyton Manning comes back. We did it when Tom Brady came back to the NFL after he blew out his knee. We've gone through it several times over with Tiger Woods now. And ESPN would hold an hour-long special if LeBron James ever returned from a 320-day layoff due to the after-effects of a concussion that cost him 61 regular season games and an entire postseason.

The attention Crosby got tonight is a mere fraction compared to if the same happened to LeBron or Aaron Rodgers.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No, it's a Canadian thing. Hockey is bigger than ever here and there are times it makes me want to puke. The over analysis of every little thing it's as if the reporters up here believe they are covering a war or something a hell of a lot more important than the Leafs being in first place in October

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Bullshit. You make it impossible for media people to do their jobs, you make it impossible for the other players to stick to their routines.

Beyond the third row of that scrum, how is anyone going to hear him or be able to reach a microphone or recorder in?

When you're the sport's No. 1 player, you put aside superstition and routine and do what's practical and in the best interests of promoting the game.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Double J

Double J Active Member

If you have to ask, you'll never know.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Good call JC.

Too many Canadians feel that without hockey Canada has no identity. Of course these are the same hosers who see the "I AM CANADIAN" beer ads in a patriotic light.

That being said it is great to see Crosby return and hopefully the league actually gets its shit together wrt cheap hits.

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I'm with the two of you. Is Crosby a good player? Obviously. Is he likable? Not really. I don't think I ever disliked a great player in the sport more than Crosby in the last 20 years, and maybe in any major professional sport altogether. I watch when he's not around and I watch when he is, no big difference for me. It humors me how the media makes it seem like he is saving the sport when all he does is just give it more attention in the U.S. I love the sport and always have so I'm not in that market.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Damn impressive debut for a guy who hadn't played in almost a year but he won't be out there against the shittastic Islanders every night. He will get a much ruder reception from the Flyers, Bruins and others.

I think Elliotte talked about the media scrum last night and said they had two sessions: one for the TV types and then one for the print guys. Didn't seem to be the most practical way to do it and I read that James Neal, whose stall is next to Crosby's, had to go get changed in the hall because of the crush.

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

He's 24. This is his seventh season. Maybe you Canadians should try and give him a better nickname.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well, why don't you help Mr American?

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

He could be 60, as fat and bald as Bruce Boudreau and he'll still be Sid the Kid. Ted Williams was the Kid until he died, no? You Yanks should have found another name - and not Teddy Ballgame which sounds like a baseball book for preschoolers.

12. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

How about "winner"?

Great memories.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted