1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sick of network TV....missing 80s sitcoms

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hacksaw2828, Mar 26, 2010.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The whole thing is brilliantly targeted at both the kids and the parents, many of whom will have grown up in the 80s. Biz Markie has a beat of the day. Mark, the guy who shows up to draw a funny picture every episode, is Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo. They have hip musical guests, like the Ting Tings doing a cover of Altered Images' "Happy Birthday." Plus, Yo Gabba Gabba was responsible for this, which is easily the greatest thing I've ever seen on kids TV:

2. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Live by that song. Also ... Don't ... don't ... don't bite your friends!!

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Nope. "Wednesdays at 9, 8 Central, on ABC."

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agree about Modern Family. The show makes me laugh consistently.
    Agree about Two and a Half Men. I'm amazed that this show hasn't been targeted by one of those family groups.
    I like How I Met Your Mother, but again, don't know if kids would enjoy it.
    Oddly enough, I've watched a few episodes of iCarly on Nickelodeon with my niece (its her favorite show) and it's no Cheers, but funny enough.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Grew up watching "All in the Family," "Sanford and Son," "Hogan's Heroes," "Gilligan's Island" and "MASH."

Used to enjoy a show called "Midnight Caller," which starred Gary Cole. Writing was terrific.

Really, only shows I've been hooked on in eons were "The X-Files," "West Wing" and, now, "Lost."

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Double Down, you got me to change my mind about today's television after reading your post. Reality and trash TV is so prevalent and everywhere, it was hard for me to realize that we have some damn good shows with quality writing, good storylines, and some relation to our lives today.

If I don't get to see "Modern Family", I'll catch it on Hulu when I have free time. I wasn't keen on Mad Men, because everyone's gushing about it. But I finally forced myself to watch the last few episodes of this past season. Damn, why did I not get on board earlier? Roger Sterling, how I love thee!

I never miss HIMYM and Big Bang Theory every week. I haven't laugh so much watching two characters like Barney Stinson and Sheldon Cooper and their antics.

I'll admit that I haven't watched Community and Parks and Recreation yet. The Office is hard for me to pick up. I have to watch an episode at least twice more in order to "get it."

"The Good Wife" is stellar. Great writing makes this worth viewing for me, and "The Forgotten" may not get as many good reviews, but I flip between that and The Good Wife.

There are a sizable number of good-to-great shows. We have to find them.

7. partain

partain Member

As others have said, the last two or three episodes of Community have been as good as any comedy I can remember. I usually catch it on hulu during my lunch hour and last week I had to close my office door because I was laughing so hard.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My wife almost became violent when I suggested we give Yo Gabba a shot with Lil 93, and after watching it, I can see her point.

Sure seeing the Ting Tings redo an Altered Images song is cool, but as far as educational meat for your child's brain? This is a Twinkie. Sesame Street is meat and potatoes.

An hour of Sesame Street will give your child 20 times more knowledge (delivered much better by the way) than two episodes of this.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

When Annie bounced Jeff's head off the table twice in the most recent episode, not only did I burst out laughing, but Alison Brie won my heart forever. My god, she is sexy.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Every kids show doesn't have to be educational. My kids liked Sesame Street, but only if one of the characters (Elmo, Grover, Cookie Monster, Big Bird, Oscar...) was in the segment. If it was one of their shitty segments with live actors, they just tune out because they're boring as shit.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Well, Lil 93 is two, but you would be amazed what percentage of the show has Elmo, Abby, Bert, Ernie or one of the others, and how short the live action actor portions are without a character..

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The Cosby Show episode where Theo throws a party with his parents out of town is on Peachtree TV right now.

As punishment, Cliff takes Theo to the Army recruitment center. Then he makes him volunteer at the homeless shelter where he has to cut vegetables at 7:30 a.m. "because [Cliff] know(s) [Theo] can't wake up that early."

Great, simple, life lesson stuff with humor thrown in for good measure.

Draft saved Draft deleted