1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI tries cloning

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It also seems he just took a buyout from the Baltimore Sun, according to a thread on the j-board. So I'm convinced.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Sounds like you guys care a lot about the Mets. A lot.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

He's already got a call in to the Plain Dealer.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Pcloned.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I never thought of the previous Mets cover, but now that you mention it, that's pretty remarkable.

But aside from the cover, what'd you guys think of the story?

I thought it was sort of a waste of Gary Smith's prodigious talents to tell the story of Omar Minaya, who seems to be a pretty nice guy from a pretty tough background and...well, that's about it. Smith pulled out all the stops trying to make Minaya's rise a better story than it is, but not even he could pull that off.

Your thoughts?

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

No kidding. Um... Rey Ordonez, Edgardo Alfonso, Robin Ventura and John Olerud are the BEST INFIELD EVER?
    What kind of crack was floating around the SI newsroom that week?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

The Best Infield Ever? How'd that work out for my mighty Mets?

8. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

hell, how'd all that pitching work out for George? Meanwhile, he must have forgotten that you can't have enough pitching going into this season.

Oh, and screw Omar Minaya by the way. I haven't read the story yet, but does it mention the masterful job he did emptying the Expos/Nationals farm system?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pretty much the same as yours. Unless others here say it's a must-read Gary Smith, I'm not compelled to read it. A non-white GM is something, but assembling a team of players from different races? Is that still a novelty in baseball?

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

no one worships at the feet of gary more than i, but even he couldn't make chicken salad out of this chicken bleep. :eek: :( ???

11. But all of them reek of chlorine, so who wants to get close to them?

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

Giving more love to a .550 baseball team? ???

Draft saved Draft deleted