1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI Swimsuit 2013: Welcome to TigerVols' Nightmare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Feb 9, 2013.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

SI, to my recollection, has always used locals in the countries they visit as part of their pictorals. Well, some groups and people object to that stating, in effect, as one person in an article states, "People are not props."

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2013/02/sports-illustrated-swimsuit-issue-photo-shoot-racy-or-racist/

And as usual, the race card has been pulled out.

Is there something to this complaint, SportsJournalists.commers, or is this just something made out of nothing? I thought they had done this for years. NOW, there are complaints...? OK, folks. Have at.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, ABC is owned by the same company that owns ESPN, which puts out ESPN Magazine. So they're basically just pimping for their little sister.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I, for one, don't even notice the props. Or people. They could photograph Kate while Godzilla is emerging from the ocean behind her, and I still won't notice.

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

TV just puked.
    3 times.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Wood
    Wood
    Wood

Vombatus likes this.
  9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Ashley Graham photo from SI Swimsuit Facebook page. The comments are as expected, starting with "Surprised there's not a group of hippies trying to ease her back in the water"

[​IMG]

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Sorry, but that's just not a flattering pose or a bathing suit that makes her look good. Chick has a 10 for a face, but well, not a 10 for a body. But she's some kind of affirmative action nod to the woman who aren't all 10s. I get that. Except if you took it another way, why aren't there women featured in the swimsuit issue who have rocking bodies but not the greatest faces? Why is one different than the other?

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

6...teen tons

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Water meet screen.

Draft saved Draft deleted