1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI story on Darrent Williams murder (by Thomas Lake)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 10, 2011.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

All that violence, all over foolishness.

2. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

I understand what typefitter is writing, but Lake did not exactly start at Atlanta, the magazine. He worked at a twice-weekly in Georgia, a daily in Salem, Mass., then Jacksonville, then St. Pete. A twice-freaking-weekly in Georgia. He wasn't handpicked out of some big-time journalism undergrad or grad school. A preacher's son, home-schooled by his mom who didn't go to college, according to his bio. Just fantastic. There is no one way to get where you want to go if you have the goods.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

This is cross-threading a bit, at least to point that it directly relates to the thread right above it, but wow.

Lake is six years older than me, though he looks younger, and the fact that we're even in the same age range just shocks me. His depth of emotion and knowledge is stunning, and a brief look at his resume shows you that he simply catapulted up the ranks because of his immense talent. I actually sent him a message on Facebook, congratulating him on the piece, and sharing one tidbit.

Like Grann to Jones, Lake's writing keeps me up at night. Wow.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Part of the credit for Lake's success - as I'm sure he will attest - is that he sent a story to Gary Smith to see if he thought it might be good enough to submit on spec to SI. I believe it was an article on the aftermath of the three players who beat five in an Alabama high school game - and it ended up in the BASW.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

This is right on point. And I'm not even exaggerating. That story was fantastic, so good that it felt like a movie.

As far as SI, the last few weeks have been really great. The last issue was awesome, from the DH story and even the story on the championship game (Layden did a remarkable job with it). The SI story a few weeks back on spring football was also dynamic.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Here's that article:

http://tinyurl.com/3m5q8jv

And, here's an interview with Gary Smith from '08 in which he mentions Lake:

7. YankeeFan

For the most part I would agree with you, though I'd also like to think that exceptional talent will rise to the top.

But, based on Dan's comment (that he sent an article to Gary Smith) and this item:

I'd say that he was also pretty aggressive/smart about marketing himself.

So, if there's a lesson to be learned, I'd say this is a pretty big one.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Just read it. Helluva story. Only thing I was left wanting to know was how the killer got life plus 1,200-plus years. Now that's a sentence to brag about around the cellblock.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Read it on the couch last night, and of course it is an amazing read.

A few things that jump out at me...

He is a preacher's son and home schooled, but he does a very good breaking down what is "normal" and "acceptable" in a culture far different than his.

Driver's before/after numbers just blew me away.

He saw what many people did not; that it's who is not spoken about (the cousin) which is the key to the entire story.

It's amazing how just doing a simple thing the wrong way (a hat, getting someone wet, looking like another person) can end your life when you put yourself in certain situations.

10. YankeeFan

Lake discusses how he reported the story:

http://gangrey.com/2844#comments

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Tremendous story. And I think 93Devil means Walker, not Driver, 2 posts up.

But SI's back-page columns have been terrible for a long time. There's a rare Pos exception - few & far.

12. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Tom actually got his start at the St. Pete Times before moving on to Atlanta. If you really want some inspiration, check back at some of the stuff he did while operating out of one of their bureaus. He's Example A of talent playing regardless of its arena. He'd be damned if he let you know it though.

Draft saved Draft deleted