1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI story about Lance Armstrong. Doesn't look pretty.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 18, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hell - I don't care if he cheated, but you can't strip one guy and let another guy keep his titles just because he's a humanitarian. And if he broke the law - he broke the law. It still won't take away from his work to fight cancer.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Most hardcore cyclists I know are convinced he doped. Yet most still wear the LiveStrong bracelets because of the fight against cancer.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sun rises in the east.
    The Pope is Catholic.

Nonstory.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I don't give a shit that he's a user. I do care that he has been so indignant whenever challenged, lied his ass off in numerous ways, used his lack of getting caught doping to foster a false PR message and has come out like a rabid dog, armed with threatening phone calls (personally), letters from squadrons of lawyers and a PR team, in order to smear anyone who dares to try to out him as a user.

I think most sports are rife for with the stuff. It's cheating, regardless of how you feel, though, because the sports say they are not allowed. If you choose to use anyhow -- even if it is to keep up -- you have cheated. And if that isn't the case, a guy like Armstrong would have no reason not to stand up and just be honest -- say what he did, how he did it and let people decide for themselves whether it makes his accomplishments any less impressive.

Instead he's lied over and over again and conducted himself like a bully against anyone who stood in his way.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

some get caught once. some get caught a few times. but when one of the greatest somehow doesn't ever get caught it's a but intriguing.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But will this uncomfortable truth lead to the even more uncomfortable question of whether doping caused his cancer? I love what he has done with LiveStrong, and part of me hoped he'd never get found out just so people who had drawn so much hope for their own battles would be able to keep living that lie. I just wonder what the impact would be if he had to admit that yes he took drugs that mess with his reproductive system and yes that's exactly where the cancer was.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Again, while I don't doubt Lance doped, if I were on his legal team I'd be more than happy that they are using Landis in the prosecution. After stating that his name is Floyd Landis, that pretty much ends his credibility as a witness.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Maybe. But then, the most credible person in relation to baseball's steroid problem is Jose Canseco.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

But I don't think Canseco every truly went to the mattresses denying his use and then went as far as to take money from people for his defense knowing he was guilty.

Canseco's book - Juiced
    Landis' book - Positively False

10. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

The thing that bothers me about Armstrong isn't that he cheated, but that he's such an insufferable, sanctimonious, hypocritical prick about it. He and Barry Bonds should be forced to live on a small tropical island together. Again, not because they cheated, but because they're both such assholes we should never be subjected to their presence again.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The more I think about this the more I think that unless ESPN jumps on board with this story (which I doubt) that this will barely register with most of the public.

SI is read by a fraction of the people it once was and Armstrong, while not off the radar, is nowhere close to being as prominent as he was when he was winning Tour after Tour.

I hate to say it, but I don't think many people will care.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't think many people cared when he was dominating the TdF. Jingoism fueled interest more than a love of cycling.

Draft saved Draft deleted